Friday, January 30, 2009



"A merry heart does good like a medicine."

Now there's a terrific verse for another annoying snowy, bad-economic-times kind of day like this one.

I've heard that 80 percent of people in doctors' offices are there due to stress-related symptoms. Hmmm. Perhaps my goal should be to stay calm and happy with God in my life. 

What I'm thinking? Trust and relaxation just may be like general health booster shots.

I'm a big believer that our pathetic thoughts and worries can make us sick and leave us vulnerable to diseases. You might disagree. But in my nearly 50 years I've been a 'watcher', a 'ponderer of things in my heart' and I've seen that the worriers, complainers and 'poor me types' are generally those who go downhill the fastest, with hardly a push from anything else. It's like they whisk themselves down the hill into years of disease.

Again, you might not agree. (And too, I'm not saying all sick people are worriers.) 

But I'm thinking that as I near 50, more than ever, I need not only to change my diet in revolutionary ways, I also must watch--more closely than ever--the way I respond to hard times. Rather than allowing that overwhelmed feeling to pull me down, I need to choose booster shots of peace, trust and knowing that my times are in God's hands. 

For people living within those hands should be the least fearful and calmest around.


*****


"As a man thinks in his heart so is he..."

" My son, attend to my words; incline your ear unto my sayings.

Let them not depart from your eyes; keep them in the midst of your heart.
For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.
Keep your heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (From Proverbs 4)

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how much I agree. My mother recently battled breast cancer. With faith and God's grace she's made a full recovery. I saw firsthand what a bad attitude could have done and what her amazing resilience and great amounts of faith resulted in.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Amusing how I always want to begin my response to your posts by saying, "Amen!"

I do believe in what you wrote today and I think one of the most powerful tools is to sit quietly sometime every day and count your blessings.

Donetta said...

:)
sometimes when the spin is on you just gotta reach out. He'll grab your hand and bring you to a stop.

Echoes From the Hill said...

This post really hit home with me.
My ex-husband takes the "Poor Me" (victim) act to new heights. His cup is always half-empty. No amount of encouragement or good words could change him. He is only four years older than me, but was an old man before his time. He looks old, acts old, and has had serious health problems.
People need to look at their way of thinking, acting, and reacting before it ruins their lives.

Dapoppins said...

I agree. :)