Thursday, December 28, 2006

Night At The Museum



Tom and I had planned for weeks to go see The Pursuit of Happyness, but this morning I told him, "You know? I've already cried every time I've watched the previews and then I saw Oprah's show about the whole movie and well, I feel like I've seen it already!"

Tom agreed, and so this afternoon we drove to the theater and saw Night At The Museum. Oh wow. What a fun, imaginative, fun, laugh-out-loud, fun, crazy, fun, wild, and did I mention--fun?--movie! We absolutely loved it. And definitely it was a 'you-gotta-see-it-on-the-big-screen' film.

Maybe I, especially, loved this film because, ever since my wonder-eyed tiny girl days, I've gazed up at manikins in department stores and wondered, "What would it be like if they all came alive after the store closes?" The same for museums, display windows and I confess--even my own backyard. Don't tell anyone, but when I lug the trash outside at night, I peek over at our dark backyard and imagine that I see people sitting in our chairs and drinking lemonade, laughing.

No, really. Perhaps that comes from the After School Special based on the book, The Night Swimmers. I don't know. 

Anyway, Night At The Museum fed and tickled my imagination. My favorite parts were rather simple--people in Victorian and other period costumes strolled together in pairs talking quietly down the museum halls. People who had no speaking parts, but were there to add ambiance, a sense of motion, oddity.

Also? This film struck a familiar chord. Shortly after I began this blog 2 years ago, I began having almost nightly dreams filled with crowds of people. Folks I'd known in California, in Nevada, others from New York and people my brain creates. All these many folks together in one place! 

The dreams are all different, but they're always crowded with people. Not much happens, but by morning, I feel I spent all night chatting with folks in crowds.

Perhaps given my lone writer lifestyle God gives me these dreams so I'll connected to others? Satisfied, content to spend my days mostly alone? Hmm.

Enough rambling. Night At The Museum is pure delight and fun, though a bit long, so little ones might be best left home (some scary parts appear, also.)No, be brave and see it with another adult--ha! Even without the excuse of taking little children. You won't be sorry.


******

No comments: