Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Christmas Shopping The New-Fashioned Way


Yesterday morning I went Christmas shopping.

The inside of our car was freezing cold at 9:00 a.m., but who cared?

Snow and ice blanketed the roads then, too, and the wind was blowing icy darts, but I didn't even notice.

The mall was crowded with people, even so early, but I didn't mind a bit.

For you see, I went Christmas shopping online.

I went to three different stores and didn't use one drop of gas and I didn't have to search for, or squeeze into, a single parking space, nor did I get shoved around by that frosty wind while winding through the back 40 of the parking lot.

I was the only person I saw in each store. It was blessedly quiet and I didn't hear any screaming children, yelling parents or Christmas Muzak. I even drank coffee while I browsed the shelves.

The stores had exactly what I wanted, everything was in stock.

I was always the very first person in line at the check-out. There was no waiting and no lines so long that you begin to wonder if you've entered a type of purgatory where, now, you'll be standing for years and years amongst these many and varied, noisy people.

I had no heavy packages to carry out to a freezing cold car in the freezing cold, crowded parking lot. There was no traffic to battle my way through on the way home and no traffic lights, gas fumes, stop signs or near misses with other cars.

No, I was home. In my nightgown and robe. Warm and toasty and smiling like a Cheshire cat.


***
Kim reminded me that another advantage of shopping online is the avoidance of shopping in the midst of thousands of sickness germs... Gotta love that, too!

No comments: