Monday, October 31, 2016

Musing. Just Musing.

Anyone remember the Home Alone House?







Well, forgive me, I'm in a mood (uh-oh!) and via a recent real estate listing, that same house, to me, now resembles a Refrigerator House:








Brrr.   :)

This morning I re-watched Home Alone (mostly to 'house study') and re-fell in love with that home--although yes--26 years later it's a bit dated.

But still. All that wallpaper and wainscoting and the fireplaces and wallpaper and tiled bathrooms and sconces and did I mention wallpaper? They still, to me, feel welcoming and warm. I still, in my head, walk up those stairs and dream awhile.

Call me old-fashioned. It's ok.

Anyway, today I'm extra grateful for my tiny Hobbit Cottage, even though its lack of storage and wall-and-floor-and-creative space annoys me most days and it'll never feel like a Colonial.

Even so. 

Today those cold grey photos reminded me the best houses are special because of their intangibles. The laughter, love, grace, creativity, memories--and acceptance of flaws-- which you add. That's what makes a real home, one still alive and worth revisiting in your mind, even long after you've moved away.

Yes, even so. And each of us can add those things to any type of home, even those closer to a cardboard box than an in-your-face mansion. 

Really.





******





"She makes coverings for her bed;
    she is clothed in fine linen and purple...


24 25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
26 
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness."


From Proverbs 31



What stood out to me in those verses? The "She can laugh at the days to come," part.

Wow. 

How many of us are currently "laughing at our days to come"? Seems more like we're worrying and complaining this election year. Not that the coming days are a joke, but rather, we should--no matter what the circumstances--be filled with boldness and trust because God hasn't changed, even though our world certainly has.

His stance on things still matters most, so please don't dread a week from Tuesday or beyond, ok?


*******



To be fair, the dining room of the Home Alone house fared better in the personality department:





To see more comparison photos of the Home Alone house and it's recent real estate listing, go here.



******


“We leave something of ourselves behind when we leave a place, we stay there, even though we go away. And there are things in us that we can find again only by going back there.” 
― Pascal MercierNight Train to Lisbon



******


Oh, and meet Molly Mermaid. She arrived here last Friday:



There's just something about cast iron...   


******


Free Kindle Books:


Little Women

Running Home

Once Upon a Sunday

3 comments:

Betsy said...

Gray and white do seem to be the most popular colors right now. And NO wallpaper. I have wallpaper borders in a couple of rooms and have been told they're outdated and should be taken down. I understand how you feel. I think the Home Alone house had a lot more personality before.
Blessings,
Betsy

Pam said...

It shames me to admit that I've never noticed the verse in Proverbs 31, that says, "...she can laugh at the days to come." Wow. I needed that. I have some medical tests coming up, and I want to face them with optimism.

Debra said...

Betsy-- yeah, I watch all the decorating shows. Heh. Grey is so in right now--it's crazy. At least, though, there's a slightly warmer brownish tone of it which is supposed to be the latest shade. Oh, and the good news is that I'm seeing accent walls with wallpaper pop up more often on those shows. Yay! Maybe, slowl,y decorating will return to a warmer look! :)

Pam--aww... I think both you and I just forgot that sentence was there. I love it, don't you? And please know I'm praying about your upcoming medical tests. Praying that all will be well!

Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra