Friday, February 07, 2014

Preparation. It's Done Ahead of Time.


"But we have the mind of Christ (the Messiah) and do hold the thoughts (feelings and purposes) of His heart."   ... 1 Corinthians 2:16

*****

Wow. Watching the news of unprepared folks down South this week reminded me of why I've prepared early for winter each of the 35 years I've been married.

And actually? The pioneer lady in me would stay prepared even if I lived in a hut in the jungle.


Why? I hate shopping with lunatics, for one thing.



Throw any emergency into the mix and crowds go all hysterical grabbing for what they should have already stored at home. Try driving in treacherous conditions with these same lunatics and you're saying, "Accidents, come get me!"

For lots of years in this blog I've written about letting God prepare us for anything ahead. Anything from bad weather to losing a spouse to all the wild stuff Revelation warms us about--you know--like the scary path to the end of the world.



If we wait until the emergency arrives, it's too late to prepare. True preparation can only come before bad times and--I believe--if we obey God's nudgings, do our thousands of homework assignments, we'll be prepared for whatever hits us.

And there will be peace in any storm.


****

So. Tom, Naomi and I find ourselves, once again, each upon whole different continents.

Do I love this fact? Feel super comfortable with it? Uh, no. I've had a few moments where I squirmed and wished things were different.

But you know? I've learned to keep them at moments, never hours. Not anymore, anyway. Years past I'd have complained and heart-whined for days, longing for change, then regretted all that wasted time and self-imposed misery after seeing Tom's and Naomi's happy faces.

But why do that? Why spear myself with misery? Why question (and criticize) God about Tom's and Naomi's Life Paths? Why ruin what could be exciting times of discovery for my own Path?

Why, indeed?

These are things God has taught and still teaches me and oh! The growth of peace as each year passes. The newness I feel, even in this mid-50's body. The calm, the trust, the good nights' sleep I have known.

It's all because of this God I have known.

And yearning to think as He thinks, not like anyone else or anything less. But wanting that mind of Christ and doing, accepting, whatever it takes to get it. That is making all the difference and these types of preparation are leading to an opposite sort of life.

And I'm learning to love opposite, even without its crowds.




******

(All African photos taken by Tom.)


"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you."   ...Psalm 32:8

*****



Here's Naomi in Switzerland (center) with two of her band members. Thanks for your prayers for her safety!

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

Enjoyed the photos, Debra. Aren't giraffes just awesome! My prayers are with your family while they're away.

Debra said...

Rosemary--thanks so much for praying for my family! And I'm glad you liked Tom's photos--I'll let him know and he'll be thrilled! Thanks again... Debra