Saturday, February 15, 2014

C.S. Lewis On My Brain


"The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way..."   ... Psalm 37:23

*****

Gracious! How did I miss the 3rd Chronicles of Narnia movie, The Dawn Treader, from 2010? What rock did I crawl under?   


Hmm. Perhaps this was a God-thing, one of those "I'll wait for a more perfect time for you," things. For today, yes, proved the perfect time for me to receive this disc in my mailbox.


I came away with so much more than from Prince Caspian (too many battle scenes, perhaps?). And as with The Lord of the Ring films, Dawn Treader surged new Courage Blood through my sluggish veins. 


The choicest film for such a time as this. (Don't ask. Just trust me.)


Since God designed each of us uniquely, He also created different ways for us to receive inspiration and you know? That is why I try never to laugh, to pish-posh on anyone's hobbies/habits/uses of their time.


We just never know what keeps anybody going. What inspires someone, what makes anyone stronger.


I mean, hey:


"A man's steps are determined by the Lord, so how can anyone understand his own way?"  ... Proverbs 20:24


... so if we don't even comprehend our own way, why would we criticize others' paths? (Control issues, perhaps? Cluelessness to creativity? Stuffing God in too tiny of a box?)



Really, Heaven help us if we believe our uses of time are the only ones of worth. Books inspire some people, for others it's tv series. Or movies. Or video games, comic books or watching football, jogging, fishing, traveling, etc.

Lesson here? Sometimes we need to, like Mary, just ponder these things in our hearts and ask for deeper empathy for others. And my oh my... carefully watch our words.







******


What appears like a waste of time to us, might be holding someone else together. For now.



*****

Speaking of C.S. Lewis, I watched an interesting documentary about him last week through Netflix:  C.S. Lewis And The Chronicles of Narnia.

Enjoyed it much.




*****

"See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland."   ... Isaiah 43:19

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

C.S.Lewis was an interesting fellow. I must admit however, I never could get into reading his books, though my husband and kids did...but the movies I enjoyed. My tastes run more towards McDonald and Michael Phillips, etc...though have not read very many books for awhile (busy trapsing back and forth across this continent). I came across today while sorting, a quote I have enjoyed by C.S.Lewis however: "We are half-hearted creatures, fooling around with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." I have pondered on that last sentence a great, great deal...I think he is right, as that pertaining to some situations in life!