Wednesday, February 12, 2014

If I Never Have Grandchildren

"So you also are complete through your union with Christ ..."    ... Colossians 2:10

*****

So, well, Naomi isn't planning on having children, like, ever and you know what that means, right? Most likely no cherub-faced sweetie pie will ever call me Grandma.

Of course, the option's always out there for me to rent/borrow/bribe children and treat them like grandkids--and hey--I'm open to that! After all, I adored being a mom while Naomi grew-up and I loved teaching scads of church kids in three different states for 20 years. What an incredible season it all was.

But yes, it was a season. An early chapter in the book of my life.

Yet now I'm nearing Chapter Fifty-Five and wow, does it ever read differently than before! (Why do people wish all their chapters read the same, never changing? What sort of a wonky, boring book would that be?)  


Anyway, am I bothered or bummed-out about my own Life changes? No way!

Why not?

I've still got Tom. And Naomi.
And a sweet little house filled with bright colors.
And two cats. Friends. This blog. Neighbors.
Favorite books and tv shows.Trees outside my windows.
And I still live in gorgeous New York state and have a car to drive amongst old houses, cafes, rivers and sprawling green countryside with its farms, barns and horses.
I can walk. I feel healthy.
I have interests, hobbies, passions.
By way of my imagination I can go wherever I wish.
If I want, I can still paint or wallpaper rooms.
I have a manageable yard with plenty of garden space.

But mostly?

I have Jesus. 
He completes me and there is no lack.
If I lost everything, above, He would be enough.

As long as I have Him, I'll be ok.
No, better than just ok. I'll be blessed-out-of-my-head.
Yes, even without grandchildren.
I know this.



**********

"The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance."   ... Psalm 16:6

Yes. Oh my goodness ... yes. And I am utterly grateful.



*****




"You see, George, you've really had a wonderful life. Don't you see what a mistake it would be to throw it away?"


Clarence in It's a Wonderful Life



3 comments:

Judy said...

Beautiful post Debra. And so very true. Although I have a plethora of grandchildren there is something in my life that I will never have and I can soooo relate to the spirit of this post.

Anonymous said...

Having grandchildren can be wonderful. And it can bring you a ton of grief, not the fault of the darlings, but one of their parents. Been there. We await the KINGDOM for things to be as they should. It is not a bad thing to be content in such a situation as you have. Besides, if Naomi were to find a stupendous man, maybe she would change her mind later on. I love each of my grandchildren, but one situation has caused us untold grief. One grows tired of grieving. We accept how things are. But we cannot ever say everyone should have them, or children for that matter...I simply do not know that answer...
Elizabeth in NC

Robin in New Jersey said...

You are a very wise woman, Debra!