Wednesday, January 02, 2013
Boosting The Ol' Immune System
So I've not had a cold in over two years (knocking on wood here) and have never felt better--overall--most days.
And not that anybody has to do anything I say, I'll just share what I do to boost my aging ol' immune system. Whatever it is, it seems to be working.
1. My good genes help, but are not absolutely necessary.
2. I take at least 2,000 units of vitamin C daily (in divided doses. More if my ears even hint that they're toying with the idea of becoming infected).
3. I take at least 2,000 units of vitamin D3 daily, sometimes more during the winter. This one vitamin has helped our grey, snowy winters not feel so eternally dark and awful to me and I believe it's a major help in staying healthy.
(Kim reminded me that I've taken Vitamin B daily for years--they're what I call my happy pills.) :)
4. At our supermarket I always use the wipes provided for the handle of my shopping cart. Always. And I wash my hands when I get home and often throughout the day, every day.
5. I would say that I eat fruits and vegetables all day long, but that would make me a big, fat liar. I'm aiming at adding more of these. Ditto about exercise.
6. I stay as low-stress as I can. Two daily krill oil soft gels help much. I try not to expect more from myself than even God is expecting from me.
7. I ask God to help me forgive people. I discipline myself to recognize immediately when I'm walking around with unforgiving thoughts and instead, switch over to pleasant ones.
8. The majority of my thoughts are ones of gratitude rather than I-wish-I-had-or-would-have __________ (fill in the blank) thoughts. I stay away from condemnation and respond to godly conviction, instead.
9. I go to bed early and get up early. I've researched online about how to sleep better and have made many changes in order to do so. Many. Changes. But it's been oh so worth it.
10. I stay positive. Or try, anyway. I refuse to dwell on negative political and economic news (etc.), for I believe faith is a very positive thing and God takes excellent care of His kids who trust Him with all their heart and use His wisdom to make decisions.
So there you go. Do with that what you will.
Some articles which may help:
Foods Which Reduce Stress
How Gratitude Can Improve Your Life
How To Sleep Better
Whenever I buy vitamins, it's Buy One, Get One Free, plus, I use a coupon on the one I'm buying.
VitaCost.com has the best price on krill oil. They recently had a Buy One, Get One Half-Off sale, with free shipping, so I saved $25 with each two bottles and stocked up.
Something else I've noticed? Tom and I have been sick way, way less since we stopped eating out in restaurants with real dishes. We do still eat fast food and have Chinese delivered (lest you think we've been good), but these are all on disposable dishes. Hmmm...
Oh! And I forgot to add something else I feel is important--I take one or two chewable acidolphilus (Nature's Bounty mostly) tablets each day. They taste great and do important stuff like add good bacteria which can eat bad bacteria.
"Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body*** be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." ... 1 Thessalonians 5:23
*** Spirit, soul and body... they all matter. They all work together and--when one is messed up--the rest just sort of limp along, hindered from being their best.
Save $2 on Sundown Naturals vitamins here.