Tuesday, March 31, 2009


So Tom and I won't be online tomorrow, what with the threat of that annoying April 1 computer worm. We'll turn off the modem/router thingy and unplug everything computer-related, etc. And we'll even take a little money from the ATM today. Just in case.

It's sad, really, that there are people out there who create these viruses and probably find the whole high-tech crime thing fun and exciting.

Last week I had to go 24 hours or more without using the computer because we had a sort of ad virus and, since he was working night shift, Tom didn't have time to fix it. And actually? It was rather pleasant not having computer access. Those occasional breaks remind me of what life was like before all this. It reminded me to stay balanced, too.

On his way home from work last night, Tom bought another tractor, one for only $20. Sigh. The seller will even deliver it for him on Friday, though Tom said this morning that he'll give the guy an extra $20, because after all, that's a lot of trouble to go to for only twenty. Maybe Tom can retire and just sell tractors full time. Maybe it would behoove me to just accept his love for them, especially since I'll now be living with 6 of them. Again. Especially since Tom subscribes to two tractor magazines, reads about tractors online, has fat binders crammed with tractor information and dreams about tractors at night.


A girl should realize when she's losing battles.

Making threats and begging Tom to stop bringing tractors home certainly hasn't worked and you'd think after 30 years I could remember the lessons I learned long ago. Namely, nagging nearly always backfires. Nagging makes the other person want to do the opposite of what you say.

I've beheld miracles when I stop nagging. When I stopped getting after Tom to pick up his clothes, he began picking them up. When I stopped telling him to put his dishes in the sink, he began putting them in the sink, himself. There are more examples, but you get the idea.

Nagging, I think, is a sign that I don't believe God can get through to Tom. It's as though--by nagging--I'm acting like Holy Spirit Junior, except that the Holy Spirit does not raise His voice and get ugly (though He, too, can be pretty darn insistent).

But He does speak in a soft voice and if my loud one keeps blaring, then that could make it harder for Tom to hear the One who he should be listening to the most. So I guess it makes lots of sense, all those times I've watched Tom change after I gave-up trying to change him. Maybe only then was he able to hear that still, small voice.... only after I switched off that blaring Nagging Siren.


************************


So did you hear we're supposed to avoid pistachios now? Always something...

2 comments:

Karen said...

Everyone needs a hobby! This must be Tom's. I got a huge chuckle out of this post. :)

"Especially since Tom subscribes to two tractor magazines, reads about tractors online, has fat binders crammed with tractor information and dreams about tractors at night."

Do you think Tom could substitute your name for his and "decorating" for "tractor(s)"? ;-)

I wish Ken wouldn't write important things down on little scraps of paper and the backs of envelopes and then lose them. But I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to be able to change that habit. I wonder what I do that drives him nuts? Maybe I don't want to know. :)

Queen of France said...

Maybe you should claim one of the tractors for yourself, make it all girlie pink (or teal) and decorate it and then you and Tom can have 'his' and 'hers' and ride off into the sunset together.

And when you get sick of that tractor, you have five more to pick!

i'd love my own little tractor but don't think my neighbors (i live in a city) would appreciate it taking up one more parking space!
:grin: