Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Almost A Whole New Year



Don't you love that 'new' word?

New year, new beginning, new-found freedom, new mercies... I especially like, "He makes all things new...."

Boy, do I think of that one a lot. Of course, its meanings are myriad and varied, but on the thousands of average mornings when I'm cooking Tom's oatmeal--again-- and feeding the cats--again--and shoveling snow with my coat thrown over my robe--again--and, later, washing dishes--again--and straightening these rooms--again-- well, I'll take any drop of newness God can spare.

I so don't want to spend my allotted days just sleepwalking my way through them all bored and drudge-like. Homemakers can easily do that, you know, what with staying home within their oh-so-familiar walls. Yet if I enjoy the mundane then nothing is mundane. Or something like that.

Each morning I need Grace to make cooking breakfast feel new and making my bed feel new and the promise of hours ahead feel new, also. I need her to lift up my creative spirit when it sags and blow and breathe new life into my dreams when they deflate. For they do sometimes, you know.

And I'll tell you--with God and with all things being possible--Life, the daily kind, feels new every morning, afternoon and evening. But only as I allow Him to make me new--to change my old ways of thinking and doing and being.

And therein lies the secret. And the joy.


************

This blog has lots of cute decorating ideas inside and out.... Was surfing around this morning and discovered it.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Ah, yes....to enjoy the mundane. That is one thing I aspire to do in the coming year. :)

Lora said...

Happy NEW year Debra! Thanks for all the insirpation this past year ~ looking forward to more!

Patty H. said...

another inspiring post! Thank you.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Ahh yes, you got the snow, also! And your pond is looking marvelous, with it.

Methinks' I often have to "make my own ~new~," so to speak. Seek out some spark, when dullness sets in. With me, I'm really in hopes of finding that wee little spark of ... "It's New Years, so I can really get back to my [never ending] plans."

Like, to eat more healthy and exercise daily and get rid of "stuff." Without that elusive little spark, I have a hard time revving myself up, yet again.

Yes, I know. I know. You already know where you find that spark. But you know, I don't find it, in the same way. And we accept this difference, between us.

Which is actually, one of the nicest things around, isn't it? Acceptance of differences? :-)

Happy New Year to you and yours,
Aunt Amelia
"The night was clear and frosty, all ebony of shadow and silver of snowy slope; big stars were shining over the silent fields."

Saija said...

Happy New Year, Debra!
may God Bless you in unexpected and surprising ways! :o)