Thursday, September 06, 2007

Life After Microwaving


Well, I know it's been keeping you awake at nights wondering how we're coping without a microwave oven.

We haven't even missed it.

(I know, I'm as shocked as you are.)

Nope, it's not hard at all. I just had to return to thinking ahead, which isn't too taxing if you let it become more of a habit than something you actually have to think about. I simply heat water for my pretend coffee in my old-fashioned Regal coffee pot ($1 yard sale discovery) and--don't tell anyone, ok?--I often just store leftover main dishes in the fridge inside the lidded pan I cooked them in, then whoosh! Whip out the pan and heat the leftover contents on the stove. (Which may sound tacky, isn't 100% safe, but hey, it works. For now.) I try to view each lidded pan as a miniature oven and that helps me cook/heat things evenly.

I just wanted to let you know it's possible--even simple-- to live without a microwave. It can be done. I know--we're doing it and are still alive to tell the tale.

Not to mention that--in my small kitchen--the freed-up counterspace is marvelous!

5 comments:

daisymarie said...

This started me thinkg on what I can live without....hmmmmm?

Cindy Swanson said...

Hi Debra...I wouldn't want to live without my microwave, but you're right, it can be accomplished! I remember the old days of re-heating things up on the stove. If you added just a bit of milk or water, it made the task easier.

Thanks for commenting on my blog...I'm glad you enjoyed the "Lost" video! I miss "Lost" so much, too!

Valerie - Still Riding said...

I can live without the microwave. I am glad your dad is doing better, too.

I can't get here as often as I would like, I miss you when I don't but life calls...

Dapoppins said...

Since my grandma always did that with her left overs, and I ate many a meal with her and never got sick....I have no problem doing the same.

and there you go. Germ-a-phobes everywhere will hate us.

Nan - said...

I'm with you, Debra. We got rid of our microwave when our youngest got his own place. :<) I never used it. And boy do the counters ever look nice without it!