Monday, March 14, 2005

The Unseen Battle


Tom and I watched each of The Lord of the Rings films in the theater, but now we are working our way through them again this week on DVD. I think I'll ask Tom if we can watch them together at least once a year so to be reminded that as Christians, we too, are in a battle.

I need to be reminded that the battle is a serious one.

The Bible warns us all over the place about this war which touches us all:
We are told to put on our armor piece by piece, and how
our enemy roams around seeking whom he may devour, and how
we are wrestling against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

But sometimes I still forget what a sneaky, conniving enemy we have.

Sometimes I forget, too, that love--"the greatest of these"-- is also spiritual warfare. If I am wearing my armor and walking totally drenched in God's love, I am fully equipped for any battle which jumps into my path.

And more-- by walking in love, I'll not be unnecessarily drawn into battles of my own making. I think those have been my bloodiest fights--ones I ran right into by not minding my own business... by not walking in the wisdom of the Word...by not considering others before myself.

I certainly don't need to be starting-up my own skirmishes--the enemy already whips up far too many.

Yes-- It's the Lord of the Rings Trilogy once a year for me. I need to be warned about falling asleep on the night watches... about becoming deceived about my own supposed strengths... about the battles my comrades are always facing, too.

I must remember to live ready for anything, even on normal days when nothing much appears to be happening.

No comments: