Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Dreams


There is a verse which says, "Do not despise the day of small beginnings." Or something like that (I am such a Bible scholar, I know...).

Today I was remembering a young woman who appeared on the first two or three episodes of this season's American Idol. She had a husband, a little daughter, and a big dream to sing in front of the world. And before she was dismissed, early, from the competition, they showed her saying over and over with tears in her voice--before and after the commercials--"If I can't sing, I know I'll just die.". And in that episode, she lost her chance to move on in the competition.

I still feel sad for her. Not because I think she will now die (as her passionate words would have us believe), but because she didn't appear to understand the principles of dreams.

A dream begins with a seed. Seeds are so tiny. And nearly always there are a hundred tiny ways to begin living a dream. This woman has a daughter she can sing to. That kind of singing resonates in big ways with God--if only it resonated with us mothers in the same way.

She has a husband with whom to share her songs. Friends. Most churches love to find good singers. Perhaps her daughter attends a school at which this woman could lead the children to sing and give them a love for what she loves. There are nursing homes where she would find audiences who crave the gift of song.

Do not despise the day of small beginnings...

To me, a dream is like a God-given gift, and gifts are meant to bless others more than myself. My God-given dreams are not all about me. They are not even meant to make me feel good about myself. God makes me feel good about myself. I go to Him for all of that--and He is always faithful to give me what I can find no place else.

Being faithful in small things will lead to big things. "He who is faithful in little things will be made ruler over much." (Another verse I'm too lazy to look up.)

God rewards faithfulness in the early, silent years where it's just you and Him. In the days when no one knows or cares you even have a dream.

But it takes humility to start small.
Dreams require so much work on their foundations--and who cares about seeing the basement? A lot of silent years go into building our character along with the building of the dreams. Woe unto him whose character is weaker than his gift.
Dreams require fortitude when you'd much rather just quit during the silent years.
Dreams require hard work.
Dreams require God.

No wonder so many of us never see our dreams through to completion.

No wonder we sit in breath-catching awe and watch those who had the courage to fulfill their dreams.

***

No comments: