Friday, March 11, 2005

Before I Sleep


Most nights before I sleep
I walk through my house
And gaze at everything,
Stare at it all--
Every little lamp, chair,
Rug, painting and table--
See them
As the gifts from God which they are.

My house, its walls, are a gift, too--
God provided this shelter
And I am thrilled with it
Because it came from His hand.

I stand in my hall,
Look at it all
And near tears,
Try to grasp the wonder
That it's true--
It's really, really true--
That eternal life has already begun
And I am learning right this minute
To live in it--
It begins now--
And it matters now
That I see my house
As from God's hand--
A preview of my bigger house
In a far-off land.

The appreciation starts now,
As does the Life,
Even before I sleep.
I'll not put it off till the New Day--
Because like that bigger house,
This one is from God, too.

And I turn,
Walk down the hall
Loving it all.

No comments: