Friday, August 22, 2014

Flying Away Again


"But He gives us more and more grace. That is why He says, God sets Himself against the proud and haughty, but gives grace [continually] to the lowly (those who are humble enough to receive it)."   ... James 4:6

*****

Oh well. Tom is flying away again tomorrow. 

To South Africa? No, to Reno, NV and then he's driving over to California where his mother and sister live. His mom isn't doing well and this may be his last chance to see her, barring a miracle, of course, but really, for lots of years Tom's mother has wanted to go to Heaven so I'm thinking that is the miracle she's most praying for.

I wish I had the grace to go on this quick trip involving countless pre-trip details, 6 planes, jet lag, two motels, 8 driving hours and 5 days, but lately? I barely have the grace to stay home. (Oh, the humidity.) Back in the day, I did nearly everything without Grace but now? At 55? I can't even dust the furniture without Grace and prayer and following God's timing lest I get overwhelmed and tempted to curl into the red couch and stay there.

Yeah, that's a little sad, but you know? I'd rather need Grace to function  instead of me forcing things, faking ability and paying for it by crankiness and needing a week off afterward. Which is, like, the way I used to always live. You know, back in the day when I was young and proud of it.

No, been there, done that, bought the T-shirt ... and I'll never go back to Graceless living again, even if so few understand. This total reliance upon Grace is much better and gives Life a sweetness found no other way.






*****


Any prayers for Tom's trip and for his mother would be appreciated. Thanks so much!


*****

"For by such grace you have been saved through faith. This does not come from you; it is the gift of God and not the result of actions, to put a stop to all boasting."   ... Ephesians 2:8,9


What gives me the most hope every day is God's grace; knowing that his grace is going to give me the strength for whatever I face, knowing that nothing is a surprise to God.



*****


Free Kindle books:


Joyful Momma's Guide to Shopping and Cooking Frugally

Spiritual Java

Pumpkins in Paradise



6 comments:

Pam said...

It is so refreshing to read that you are totally dependent on Grace to lead you in your decisions. It always pays to follow Grace. I will be praying for Tom, you and your family. Sometimes the trip to heaven is a long journey.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Peace to you, Debra! I think perhaps when the seasons change you will feel better!

Elizabeth said...

Prayers for all of you Debra!

Anonymous said...

Hi Debra, prayers for the whole family, such a sad time. On a lighter note, the picture of the women on the sofa, was really funny, guess we all feel that way, some days. Humid and 96 in Houston. Thank goodness, for air conditioning. Joyce

Anonymous said...

Oh I just found this post. I hadn't seen it. I hope it ends up in peace for all concerned. Sounds like his Mother is ready to go and Tom needs the comfort of seeing her again. You were such a go go girl..where did to go go?? :) Is it just our age? I hope you are not anemic but I know you would check on such things. I will redly admit I have less stamina at 67 than I did years earlier. It bothers me though when doctors are surprised at my strength when they test it. Do they think all little old ladies are weaklings! :-) I have strength enough for most any job but not the stamina for prolonged hard work. I do it in spurts intermingled with lighter work when things have to be done. It also helps to keep from physical injury for me as when the back begins to whine it needs some relief I switch to a sit down job or a job that does not require the same muscles. It sure helps. Yet I do need and enjoy a short nap too. It makes all the difference. If even President Ronald Ragan took a nap when needed and he ran our country I can too! lol Prayers are going out for the situation in California too. Sarah

Debra said...

Pam--so true! There's such safety in following Grace rather than our own bright ideas... :)

Kristi--thanks so much! And definitely--when the humidity goes, this sluggishness goes with it. Happens every year and it's the strangest thing--but always welcome. :)

Elizabeth--thanks so much for your prayers!

Joyce--oh, I definitely couldn't make it where you are. I'm glad you can, though! :) Oh, and I had to smile when you mentioned earlier that you'd told your husband about our river down the street... I always smile when people pass along odd little things that I share here. :)

Sarah--hmmm... maybe you're thinking of someone else being a go go go person? heh. In the last ten years I've only gone on 2 vacations (one by plane, one by train). Another time we flew to my dad's memorial service, but that wasn't exactly a fun time. My idea of a good time is taking 2 or 4 hours away from home for yard sales or sightseeing and then coming back home and relaxing. :)

And really I'm fin. When the humidity goes, I always return to feeling about 20 years old and just about the healthiest person I know. The only thing that's changed is my stamina doesn't keep me going as long as it used to. :) Boy, do I take a lot of breaks!

Thanks, Everyone! Blessings, Debra