Saturday, January 04, 2014

The Count Down of My Preparations




"And who knows whether you have not come to the

 kingdom for such a time as this ..."  

... Esther 4:14

****

Soon-ish Tom will fly away on his big South African adventure and ol' homebody Debra will be, well, home, during the year's iciest months.

Tom's other (few) business trips happened in Springtime or Summer when outdoors was alive and easily walked or driven upon, not asleep and snow-covered with temps in the single digits. The Dead of Winter is not ideal timing for one to be left behind, especially when she lives in Buffalo, the city which calls itself The Snow Capitol of the World--but isn't. (I've lived in snowier places.)

The old Debra of years past would be picturing herself soon to be in a fetal position upon the couch, but you know? Lately God's been big-time preparing me 'for such a time as Tom's trip.' He's put me through extra paces, with daily intense training and discipline in small things and now I'm actually anticipating this big challenge.

I've found it pays to cooperate with God and do less kicking (and whining about my own ideas) and more obeying, instead.

Oh, the ideas He's given me! Decorating, photography and couponing projects as well as organizing, decluttering (the basement, mostly) and catching-up on emails, exercise and laundry. I've been saving-up books to read (some on writing better) and tv shows to watch and hoping to invite a friend or two over for coffee. There'll be the occasional shopping trip down the street and painting projects galore and I may even wallpaper my bedroom closet.

Throw in a few oh-so-lazy days (for the sake of resting my mind) and well, Time will zoom past and Tom will be home again.

This cooperating with God is unlike anything else. It keeps my mind prepared, strong and in the right place at the right time--not in the Dead Past--but in the Alive Present. Ready for anything because God brought me here, to Preparedness, Himself.





*****
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."   ...Philippians 4:6-8

"Behold, I make all things new..."   ... Revelation 21:5


*****

I recently discovered the artist, Scott Garlock, at Facebook. His photography of abandoned farmhouses makes me gasp and this one, also:


He has tons of photos on his Facebook page, but I couldn't find a separate website anywhere (just in case you're not on Facebook). If you discover one, please let me know.


Was this house adorable at one time, or what?




2 comments:

Rita said...

I have done this. : ) For what reason is the house in disrepair? It could be so pretty. Who were the people that lived there and what were they like? Just me thinking to much I guess. :)

Anonymous said...

Good you have a lot of plans...maybe more than time will allow to finish them even? Good idea!!