Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Catching-Up With My Exciting Life :)


"Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup;
    you make my lot secure.
 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    surely I have a delightful inheritance."   ... Psalm 16:5,6



***
So yesterday while Skyping with Tom, he began talking about his next trip to South Africa.


He's not even home from the first one yet.


But his company's already giving approximate dates of his African return trip and I told him, "Hey. Let's just see how this one goes, ok?" But then I said at least if he goes again, it'll be springtime and I can venture outside and play in the yard. Warm weather will change everything.


Yet on the other hand? Even during this current (second) arctic freeze, I'm having a lovely time with God, Grace and the cats and all of you(!) Really, the contentment feels palpable and I told Tom that yes, I miss him, but in a peaceful way.


He said he misses me in a peaceful way, too.


Honestly, he's having too good of a time, if you ask me.




****


I can't believe God's timing. I mean, He spent months preparing my head and heart for these weeks alone and He even kept me from watching Crossing Jordan on Netflix until a couple days before Tom's departure. Oh wow. Crossing Jordan is the absolute perfect tv series to watch at this time. Honest. I love the characters, the stories and well, all of it, and I'm grateful that I missed this show when it ran a decade ago.


But oh, I love Chuck more and on Sunday I cried through the final two episodes both because of content and because I didn't want it to EVER end. This was another show I missed the first time around.


So there's a lesson: just because we miss out on something, that doesn't mean we lost out. Perhaps we're meant to receive it at a more perfect time--later--when it would be treasured more.


And really? Don't even try to understand my love for Chuck. I only know that it delighted me and warmed my very heart more than any other show that I can recall in this Millennium. Can I explain why? Not really. It just felt as though the stories (the writer in me loves stories...deal with it) were written by kindred spirits with my same sense of humor and penchant toward sappy sentiment and the characters (who actually grew as people over the years) were perfectly cast.


And don't laugh, but on Monday, I began watching Chuck all over again. I'm not yet ready to let go.


****


Then yesterday I used most of my Christmas gift card to order dining room curtains, plain yellow ones since I've got a lot going on there and more paisley ones would distract me to nervous shakiness. I'm thinking I'll expand the (also ordered) copper rod way beyond the window frame so not to block one ray of sunshine while the curtains are opened. Every sunny day I sit at the table with my head back, face tilted upward absorbing pure, warm winter sunlight.


***


Naomi arrived home safely from her cruise!  A grateful thanks goes to those of you who prayed for her. She sent me a quick email last night and said she'd call after she got caught up on sleep. :)


Oh, and if you heard anything about the Trace Adkins episode, yes, Naomi was on that cruise. Tom and I are currently praying for Trace.


Anyway, I took a birthday box for Naomi down to the post office this morning (it's sunny today, but just 5 degrees...) and felt blessed to see little grandmas sending boxes to--I like to assume--their children and/or grandchildren. (Or wait! Maybe they are Wild Ebay Grannies. Hmm. Could be.) I held the door open for one of them and smiled.


Life in Buffalo is oh so good, especially with an oh so good God.


***
"But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."   ... Isaiah 40:31






***



7 comments:

Judy said...

I love this.

We are quite alike on somethings, you and I.

One of my greatest joys is hearing about the adventures of adventurous people.

Adventure to me is getting lost in a book, a movie, a picture, a project or even just my basement!

Anonymous said...

I think some men are born with an adventure gene!! Mine took me on my first trip overseas to wander Jerusalem for 16 days. We hired a guide for half a day to go through the Old City and Wall and City of David below...then the rest of the time we wandered on our own. Mind you, we were careful not to get off in areas where we might be harmed...but wander we did...even up to midnight. I would have missed seeing all that wonderfulness, I would have missed experiencing that blanket of peace that comes over you there, and of safety, had I not gone. It was his dream to go, but I am glad I was along and now? I cannot wait till we can go again!! It was the first time in my life that I remember not having fears of one kind or another. And the food. If people knew how good that food tastes over there, they would immigrate in a heartbeat. Made me realize we really do not have the best here...not really. It is THERE!! We met some of the most amazing people from other countries...Switzerland, Norway and even met a cousin, so distant we are not sure how we are related...but same surname. So do consider Debra, you may be missing a lot too. Though it is good to be at home too. Glad Naomi returned safely. One feels better when a child is back safe.
Elizabeth in nC

Debra said...

Judy--I am glad you love this. Thanks for letting me know. And we truly are alike for my ideas of adventure are the same as yours! :)

Elizabeth--trust me, I'm right where I should be. What in the world would I do in South Africa while Tom works 10 hours a day? Hmm?? Watch soccer in his concrete block room? (That's the only thing he picks up on the tv.) I know myself, Tom knows me and God knows me best. I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be and have absolutely no desire to travel to other countries.

Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra

Pam said...

Debra, so glad that you've been blessed with the Peace that passes understanding. Also glad to hear that Naomi is back home. Will continue to pray for that other world traveler who's still away.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Debra, Wild EBay Grannies-that's funny! So glad Naomi made it home; bet she had a blast. Good idea on the yellow curtains. Prayers for Tom's safe return, too. Joyce

Anonymous said...

Well, with work situations, it is really a draw as to whether it is worth going along alright...I went along sometimes, moreso after my hubby got diabetes, so I could help him with that issue. But it is also nice to stay home...I enjoyed that part too!! I always had plenty to keep busy with and never got all my projects done. (I would not find going to Africa a bit enticing either!!)
Elizabeth in NC

Elizabeth said...

It sounds like you are doing just fine Debra and I am so glad! I am praying for you! I cannot imagine 5 degrees, we are at 30 and it feels so cold!