Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Those Annoying Offense Spreaders






"Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense."   ... Proverbs 19:11

******

My last post was headed toward this 'summer re-run post' from 2009, so here you go...


******

Remember this verse?

"Do not cast your pearls before swine." ... Matthew 7:6


Well, here's how I've transcribed it inside my own head: "Don't cast your pearls before people who would criticize you or your pearls."

I mean, hey. There are certain people with whom I never discuss my favorite tv shows, like Frasier, for instance. Some 'offense spreaders' would tell me they never watch Frasier because once they watched a 'not-nice' episode which they had to switch off--forever. (You know, the ol' 'throw the baby out with the bathwater' thing.) Well, I loved most of the Frasier episodes-- I just skip the not-nice ones, and I hate to hear the entire series tied up with a "It's All Trash" bow. 

So I don't cast my Frasier pearls before those who would criticize them (or me for watching).

This also goes for sharing what I'm learning about eating organically and avoiding those appliances or medications (and such) which may cause damage to my body. You know, Tree Hugger stuff. Oh my, there are a few people in my Real Life, especially, with whom I avoid those subjects. 

Frankly, the hints that I'm primed and packed for the insane asylum bug me.

When I've watched a favorite movie or tv show 10 times, I'm quite careful I don't share that information with offense spreaders who hate that type of film/series. (Nor do I invite them to watch.) This also goes for the children's books I read, especially. I received too many, "What? Are you still a child?" comments or stares in my naive days.

Now, if I enjoyed a rousing ol' discussion where I must defend what I love, well, that would be different. (Some people love those 'discussions.') But I am a hater of conflict--I always change the tv channel when I see people arguing or I sneak out of rooms of arguers. 

Shiver. I prefer peace.

Of course, as for Life's vital areas, I will stand for what I believe--but only to a point. I've finally learned to recognize when others' minds are made of cement. Unchangeable. Knowing when to speak--and when to shut-up--keeps ones sanity healthy.

This hiding my pearls from the haters of my pearls makes for a happier life. There's less setting myself up to get upset, less stress and less time and prayer needed to forgive others for hurting my feelings. 

And in Today's Crazy World? I'll take every tiny bit of good advice which enables me to see more peacefully old-fashioned days than ugly, modern ones.


****

"If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies. They must turn from evil and do good;
    they must seek peace and pursue it.
"
  ... 1 Peter 3:10,11


"Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few."   ... Ecclesiastes 5:2

*****

Too often we set ourselves up to get upset.....


2 comments:

doo said...

I figure "to each his own" everyone has different tastes. I also turn the channel on arguing so that pretty much leaves me out of all the reality shows these days :-) Glad to see Im not the only one with this thinking!

Echoes From the Hill said...

I hate to see panels of people, with different views,(on TV) raising their voices and talking over each other, with their canned talking points.
That is when I turn the program off!

I like to hear different ideas, but not when people shout over each other.

nancyr