Saturday, August 10, 2013

Meanwhile, Down At The Yard Sales...


Oh my! Not that I really needed more Fiestaware, but see that stack of it? I paid just $2.25 for all 17 pieces (!) And the (non-Fiestware) pitcher? Only $2 at a different sale.

And for this Trixie Belden I paid .75 cents.



And we even got a late start today! But as I told Tom, I believe God holds things for me at yard sales if I'm meant to have them. Really. I do.

****

So yesterday I spent 3 1/2 hours painting our large living room wall, well, painting and moving furniture around and taping and cleaning all the dirt you discover at times like these, etc. And I didn't even finish! But then, as usual, I only used a paintbrush, not a roller which I consider too messy. Haven't wielded a roller in 18 years and probably 60 walls ago...

(I remember painting these walls with a special kind of joy.)

Anyway, I can't believe I actually chose a green I love, especially after standing amongst hundreds of tiny paint chips under awful lighting at Home Depot for an agonizing hour. But two coats later it's a perfect green and you'll see the results after our scarlet couch arrives on Tuesday. 

****

Oh, and for those of you who love all things vintage/retro, have you ever read Rosamond Du Jardin's teen romance books from the 1940's and 50's? (I hesitate to call them teen romance, for the books are also about family, school, malt shoppes, treating others well, personal responsibility and with nifty descriptions of homes and clothes/formals, etc.). My favorite of her series are the Tobey Heydon books--I've been reading these for 40 years (blushing here, trust me)!

Read fun descriptions about the Tobey books here.

Amazingly, Image Cascade republished many retro authors' books a few years ago, rescuing them from eventual obscurity. You can skip around their site for Rosamond's other series and more vintage authors, as well.

You may be able to find these books more cheaply through Ebay, amazon.com, in trade clubs, your city library or ? Again, these are the type of books which will whisk you lovers-of-vintage off to calmer, sweeter times, places you may hesitate to leave at all.

****



4 comments:

Rosemary said...

You've been busy...can't imagine how long it would take me to paint a room with a brush :). Thanks for the vintage book link -- looks like great fun.

Yellowhouse Grandma said...

Wow! I can't imagine that much Fiesta for such a crazy low price! Wow! Good for you! Waiting to see your living room!

Echoes From the Hill said...

Great buy on the Fiesta Ware.
Looking forward to the living room reveal!

nancyr

Anonymous said...

Looks like you got a steal at those yard sales!! That is a fun thing to do!!
Elizabeth in WA