Thursday, February 10, 2011

Of Bucket Lists Refilled

So here I am nearly 52 and my Bucket List is, well, empty.

At least, that's what I told Tom yesterday while we discussed our future, you know, finances and living frugally and could he just retire early at 55? That sort of thing.

I told him I wouldn't mind continuing to live super-frugally for, like, forever because I'd gazed down deep into that bucket, saw blackness and heard only echoes. As in, all my real and lasting desires have been fulfilled, especially after taking that cross-country train trip last September.

In my teens I longed to live on the East Coast inside an old farmhouse with an awesome collection of books and a barn on some land. At 19 I wanted to be married, at 20 I wanted a child. Later in my 20's and 30's I wanted to be a writer and a teacher behind a podium in a church setting. I wanted to travel through farm country, especially, and to visit Almanzo Wilder's house of Farmer Boy fame. I wanted to visit Washington D.C., Gettysburg, Amish Country, Boston and New England. I also wanted to take a train trip across America.

Well, I've done every single one of those things. And so much more.

And now? Now I find myself convicted to simply become more excellent at all the little tasks which make up my life. To care for my family, myself, our house and yard and garden more excellently, with less sloppiness, less complaining and fewer corners cut. To spend my hours more wisely. To do a better job with this blog for your sake. To become a more loyal friend and encourager. To help others see their dreams come to pass. And to grow closer to God day by day by day.

And truthfully? I'm thinking my current Bucket List just became filled with all new dreams. It's not empty at all, just different. Just changed. And I am excited to see these new dreams fulfilled.




**************


In fewer words: I guess I'm having an amazing time just living my dreams!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finding contentment with what you have is wonderful!
I truly feel sorry for people who want more, and are never satisfied with what they have, or are envious of what others have.
You have truly found peace and contentment, and what more could one ask for?
nancyr

Judy said...

Beautiful!

I want to make a slooow journey around Lake Michigan someday.

But, I can honestly say that I'm doing exactly what I want to be doing.

I dream big, but in small ways.

Unknown said...

Yes being contented is a great thing. Great post

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO Glad you made that train trip last fall.....Excellent! And we don't really need to have extraordinary "bucket list" things to make us happy. We just have to have eyes that see and ears that hear. And you certainly have that, Debra!