Monday, February 15, 2010

Seeking The Fun of Housekeeping




I find myself in the middle of four Gladys Taber books. Four! *

So this morning I discovered this passage which spoke exactly what's in my heart, but stated it better than I ever could. So here you go:

"But housekeeping is fun, and I think the women who hate it lack imagination. It is one joy where you enjoy the results right along as you work. You may work all day washing and ironing, but at night you have the delicious feeling of sunny clean sheets and airy pillows to lie on. If you clean, you sit down at nightfall with the house shining and smelling faintly of wax, all yours to enjoy right then and there.

And if you cook--ah, if you cook--that creation you lift from the oven goes right to the table.


One way to look at it, of course, is that women's work is never ended, and I have heard housekeepers say they hate to make cakes because they get eaten right up anyway. You can make it drudgery if you want to, but it isn't. And it is not monotonous either, for no day is ever really the same. Lucky the woman who has a home and can live in what she is creating!"



From Stillmeadow Seasons by Gladys Taber




********




* Jodi asked which four books I'm reading:

The Stillmeadow Road

Stillmeadow Seasons
One Dozen and One
Stillmeadow and Sugarbridge

Plus, I occasionally peek into Stillmeadow Album for photos of the rooms and things Gladys described in her books. I am always so inspired by her photo album.




******

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh,I love this post! I have always enjoyed being at home and being an old fashioned housewife. The times I did work outside my home,even though I loved my work,I missed my home!

Lovey said...

I have always loved this passage and think of it often when I have a feeling of drudgery. She also used to say that in doing mundane dusting or washing of ornaments and milkglass, you should take time to admire each thing and be grateful. Doing this I think would also slow down the mad dash thru the house except when not possible due to another pressing committment.
Wilma

Anonymous said...

about that picture: where is the counter space? Where did they mix up the cakes etc. Oh yeah now I remember... The kitchen table...
The table isn;t in the picture must be on the other wall

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Oh, that last sentence is perfect!

jodi said...

Which 4 are you reading?

Pat said...

That's how I feel about housekeeping....most days! I have to admit that cleaning the bathroom is my least favorite. This old body complains when I get down on my hands and knees to clean then force it to stand up again!
In my opinion, there is no better job in the world, or a more creative one then that of a homemaker.

Vicki/Jake said...

AHH, I better get cleaning....
Good post and I love the picture.
I don't know how you find time to read 4 books at once! Someday I'll retire and read again. Right now the blogs are fun for me, although I am reading one new book from a blogger friend (O:
have a great week!

Blu-I'd-Blonde said...

I love Gladys Taber, have three of her books which I read whenever I'm in the mood to remember life the way it used to be. It was easier for me to keep house and cook when the nest had peeps. Now, I'm really undisciplined, and have a lot of loose ends because I try to do too many things at once. Wish I could get over this phase!

Laura said...

As I eat breakfast today, I'm catching up on your blog posts - I really needed this encouragement as acedia seems to be trying to settle in deep this week.