Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Of Doubting Weathermen and Groundhogs


I noticed something months ago.

If our local tv weather guy told us we'd have clouds or snow or rain all day, my spirits would sink. I'd begin to dread the whole day's cloudy, grey remainder.

The older I become, the more I love and need the sun.

Yet here's the other thing I've seen: often, the weatherman is, uh, wrong. The sun would shine, instead, and come pouring through my windows, even warming our (oh-so-uninsulated) front porch enough so that Lennon The Cat and I could sit out there with the sun's warm glow upon our backs.

So. No longer do I give the weatherman my faith or the power of my happiness. No longer can he make me dread any sun-free forecast. No, I just listen to him and then decide that he might be all or mostly, well, wrong.

Now I spend more time hoping for sunshine rather than expecting the gloomy, dark stuff the weather guy predicted. And you know? Perhaps it's because our old farmhouse sits in a magical land or something, but the sun often bursts through the weather guy's predicted clouds. And wow, while it gleams, I race from sunny window to sunny window with extreme gratitude to God.

I like living this way. I prefer it.

And so yesterday when Punxsutawney Phil predicted six more weeks of winter, I just laughed. If an educated human weatherman can be wrong so often, what real hope do we have for a hairy, waddling (but kinda cute) groundhog? Besides, Springtime comes in phases (trust me, I earnestly watch for each one) and robins and crocuses and that Spring scent, that Springtime feeling, can arrive even with snow still crusted upon the lawn. I know, for sometimes I've sniffed Springtime on a crisp, January late morning. Honest.

Nope, my hope will always be in God, the creator of weather. The ultimate weatherman of them all, the One who can even make the sun to shine within me on the darkest days of blizzards.



******************************

Need to see a Springtime photo which will do your winter heart some good? Click here.

******************************

"The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it." ~Patrick Young

******************************

"Find rest, oh my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken." Psalm 62:5

******************************

"Hope springs eternal."

5 comments:

Beth said...

Well, take heart, Buckeye Chuck (the official weather-groundhog in Ohio and who lives in my town) did not see his shadow yesterday, predicting an early spring. Even those goofy woodchucks contradict each other, just like the weather guys in competing tv stations in our capital city.

It is in God's hands. And take heart...spring WILL come.

Donetta said...

I love the cloudy rainy day for sun is our days most often. Snow ver I would have to sit right next to the fire.

Have a warm cup and be blessed

Laura said...

I just wish spring didn't bring bees and wasps. Then it would just perfect. I met a lady yesterday who was afraid of butterflies and moths. I understand irrational fears - I've had babies, what kind of pain is worse than that. I'm quite sure a bee sting isn't going to beat out childbirth and still...spring haunts me. In the winter I can leave my house completely unafraid of buzzing in my ear. ;)

I do love spring and fall though and look forward to warmer weather. As always, you have some great thoughts here about commanding our thoughts and not letting them command us.

Now, how to apply that to my fear of all things that buzz and sting so I can fully enjoy the warmer weather...

Annie said...

Bruce refers to the weather report as "the liar's report."

Anne

Queen of France said...

Even though i truly love winter and snow, i ADORE springtime....i saw a small flock of robins the other day - i don't know if they were "our" robins or just passing through but OH! it does a heart good to see such things. Springtime smell...and warm dirt...and planting..and..and..and OH!!!!

So while learning to be content in winter - with grey days and freezing temps - i will page through my seed catalog and rejoice that Spring WILL come!

YAHOOOOOOOOO!