Saturday, February 13, 2010

I stood gazing at some of my Valentines and smiled.

And today I would say to you--if you want to receive Valentines, send some out, first. Don't just wish for them. Sow a few Valentine seeds and see what you get. But look to God for the return--He may use different people, different means to bless you back.

I enjoy scattering seeds, recklessly almost, well, just everywhere. An encouraging word here in my blog or there at Facebook. A tiny surprise in the mail, ecards in email. A donation to the needy. Sharing a video of a song I loved. Inviting a friend to my home. Sharing decorating ideas and photos and recipes and advice and help. Praying for people who don't even know me.

Seeds blowing in the wind and settling in the places where they'll best grow. And then finding myself watering where God says, "Water here." But leaving the growing, the results to Him.

Some people believe they have no say in how their life goes. They feel helpless or they blame their unhappiness upon unkind or unwise family members. And yes, some people are quite helpless and must rely upon others for much.

But for the millions of the rest of us? We have choices. Especially when it comes to how we live on the inside. And to me, that's where most of Life happens--in the areas within my head and my heart. Basically, I'm in charge of what goes on in those areas. If circumstances on the outside are bad, it doesn't automatically follow that on the inside things will also be bad. That's up to me. I make those decisions.

What's happening inside those head and heart areas of mine this morning? Gratitude. Gratitude for a sweet husband and Valentines and friends and Springtime just down the road.

And more.


***********************

“One’s philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes. In the long run, we shape our lives and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And, the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.“ – ... Eleanor Roosevelt

***********************

"We need more backbone, not more wishbone." ... Joyce Meyer

4 comments:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

That's a wonderful idea! Scattering seeds - well, it's a little like random acts of kindness, perhaps, but I think it is a wonderful way to live. Of course, we don't do these things just so we get something back, but I think we do get something back. And we can choose in this life, and our choices have consequences. Yes!

Vicki/Jake said...

Good choices always win out...
And I'll go scatter some seeds too...

Laurie - Lolo So Retro said...

Great philosophy. I agree, though I am not always good about following it.

Lisa Harvey said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I've become a follower of yours. It's funny that not too long ago, I used the Joyce Meyer quote on Facebook!