Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hooray For Losing Your Memory




The older I've gotten, the, uh, less accurate my memory has become. 

At times, this rather universal fact annoys me no end, especially on days when my head's 'automatic pilot' blinks out, making one do silly things while thinking about three other things. 

You know, like placing a glass plate in the pan drawer while one was thinking about the apples and cheese one needed to buy at the supermarket and how one really should blog something soon, perhaps the story of what happened last week. Not that I've done that, you understand.

But you know? Being of Pollyanna ilk I've discovered there are some benefits regarding ones memory fading.

No, really.

For instance, I can watch the same episodes of Law and Order or Perry Mason or NCIS three times, spaced apart, and always be surprised to discover 'whodunnit.'


I can hear the same jokes again and laugh just as hard as the first time.

Since I tend to forget the numerous undone jobs waiting for me around the house, I don't feel as overwhelmed. I'm loving the lower stress level.

No longer do I insist I'm absolutely positive that I'm remembering something correctly and you aren't, because--oh my--I've been wrong many times. Chalk one up for a new-found humility in that area.

But the best thing about one's memory becoming faulty? When one forgets the bad times of years prior and the hurt those times imposed. And the slights, the offences aimed ones way from friends and others.

How lovely to begin each day with a washed slate, to recall our friends as just that--friends. To remember only the smiles and companionship they bring into our lives and to treasure them for that kindness.

To recall we, ourselves, are not perfect and that to forget the imperfections of others is a boon to growing older and closer to Heaven.




*****

Mark 11:25
"And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

"I can forgive, but I cannot forget, is only another way of saying, I will not forgive. Forgiveness ought to be like a cancelled note - torn in two, and burned up, so that it never can be shown against one." ..... ~Henry Ward Beecher


*****

I like what I heard once on Oprah. "Alzheimers isn't when you forget where you put your keys. It's when you forget what keys are used for."


*****


Oh! If you enjoy looking at retro kitchens, you'll love this. Keep scrolling down for others.



****

6 comments:

Donetta said...

I love you! Beautiful rich post.

Elizabeth said...

So true !

Theresa said...

LOL, so very true....and halarious!! I am turning 35(which I suppose is still youngish) but my memory is frightening. I had to learn to stop arguing with others(husband) because I was ALWAYS wrong. At the time of the conversation I was positive I was right. It took 13 years, but I have learned to bite my tongue when "I think" I know something. LOL!!! I am not at the point of watching reruns and being surprized at the outcome, but you gave me such a good laugh at that one. My mother would be right there with you nodding in agreement though. That Oprah quote is hysterical too.

I am loving your blog!!

A reader in Canada.

... Paige said...

so my automatic pilot is on the fritz
Good cause I thought it was me
nice post

Annie said...

I was going to write you about something important, but I forgot what it was.

Blessings,

Annie @ The View from 256
www.viewfrom256.blogspot.com

Vicki/Jake said...

Sometimes forgetfulness is bliss....