Thursday, May 14, 2009



My favorite teacher says many are the lessons at the supermarket. She is so right!

So today while Tom lounged in the fun lunch area of the supermarket, I roamed the aisles trying, as always, to find food which won't eventually kill us. After giving-up about halfway through, I snatched my coupons and store card from my purse then wheeled my cart to the checkout-stand. I unloaded my groceries upon the belt thingy, then the young, adorable-looking worker asked if I'd like to donate to a certain medical research group. I smiled. "No, not this time."

She smiled and said, "I know people are in here all the time and they've probably given already." To which I replied, "I was just going to say, 'Been there, done that, already.' But I realize it's part of your job to ask anyway."

Then this sweet little thing leaned toward me, lowered her voice and said, "Yes, it is part of my job, but some people get mad at me for asking every time they walk through here."

Come on, people.

I don't know about you, but that sort of thing irks me. I don't care how low the economy sinks or how tired or busy we are--even so--there is no excuse for snapping at supermarket workers who just do what their boss instructed them to. Especially cute little 20-somethings like this girl with a sweet smile. Or especially anyone else, either.

Anyway, I told her how horrible it was that people would get upset at her and stated, again, that I realized asking us to donate money each time was just part of her job. I think I encouraged her. I hope I did. 

That's part of why I go supermarket shopping--coming away having encouraged someone is a fringe benefit, one I'm always looking to share.


******

1 comment:

... Paige said...

Yes it ticks me off, when some one is doing their job and some one else jumps on them for doing it the way they are supposed to.

You did a good thing