Thursday, February 09, 2006

Nothing Better To Do


I belong to one of the Internet's most old-fashioned groups. It's a Good Thing.

Some of us are, again, mailing paper Valentines to each other. I worked on mine this afternoon while sitting upstairs in my dream room and listening to my record player. And ok, I had to lift the lid carefully, for it was heavy with some of my clothes and the album spinning around was my 1960's Christmas Treasured Hits one. But hey.

My cats slept nearby on my bed and there was snow outside the windows and a pool of light on the table where I filled out my Valentines. I smiled because always, writing upon Valentine cards makes me feel 10 years old again and reminds me of the delight of Valentine's Day parties (oh those cupcakes!) in warm elementary school rooms.

I find it sad that so many people hate Valentine's Day. I love it. I view it as Friendship Day and I revel in it, heart-shaped confetti and all. And may I never change in this area. May I never blast and spoil such a sweet holiday and become sour and Grinch-like about something so simple as sharing a card and a grateful sentiment for the sake of friendship. May I use any day possible to express what is good and right about this life...

And may I never, ever, ever toss away a holiday just because other people decry and spoil it--I am letting their negativity win and spread and thrive if I do. But instead, may I celebrate each holiday on my own terms and keep them all with joy.

And, well, later I also smiled up there in my cozy room because lots of people online would laugh at us old-fashioned ladies and our Valentines. They would chide us, scorn us, for having nothing better to do.

And then I thought...

May I never have anything better to do than to send little heart-shaped cards to my friends, telling them they mean a lot to me...

May I never have anything better to do than to bake cookies for someone who is lonely or surprise them with a phone call or an email...

May I never have anything better to do than spend time with my husband in our cozy winter room, laughing and talking together...

May I never have anything better to do than give my daughter the little trinkets I find in stores, little things which remind me of her...

May I never have anything better to do than share simple stories of God's love and encouragement in this blog with people who are searching for something meaningful on sleepless nights.

And may I never have anything better to do than let people know that God loves them. Because after all, that's what matters first and foremost anyway.


***

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." ... Abraham Joshua Heschel

"The everyday kindness of the back roads more than makes up for the acts of greed in the headlines." ... Charles Kuralt

No comments: