Sunday, December 26, 2004

"I'd Like To Thank The Academy...."



Tonight in my kitchen I was, for the 70th time, relishing this day, December 26th--the day after Christmas.

And suddenly the funniest picture popped into my head. I could see myself behind a podium in front of a large group of people. And raised in my hot little hands was a golden statue-- the "I Survived Christmas Award." You know, the coveted ISCA, which many of us aim for throughout each harried December.

And I began my acceptance speech with: "This award belongs to many people. First, I'd like to thank my family for putting-up with my many and varied holiday inadequacies. Thanks for your patience.

And I'd like to thank the makers of Christmas movies such as Prancer and It's a Wonderful Life. You kept me inspired and humming happy little songs while I shopped in crowded stores. And also, Larry and Balki, from Perfect Strangers: Thank-you for making me laugh through numerous viewings of both your old Christmas episodes while I baked pies and washed dishes.

I'd like to thank the makers of coffee for the quick afternoon boosts to keep me going and Amazon.com for making shopping online a peaceful and easy reality. And for the inventor of Christmas gift bags--bless you!

And to my fellow bloggers and online friends I'm grateful for them reminding me to keep everything in perspective during this holy season and for telling me I'm not the only person who feels ambivalent about this whole Christmas celebration thing.

And most of all, I'd like to thank God for sending his Son, Jesus, as a baby into this dark world, as it says in God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen-- "to save us all from Satan’s power when we were gone astray. O tidings of comfort and joy..." Thanks for being my heart's reason to celebrate.

This award really belongs to each of you. Thank-you."




***

2 comments:

Saija said...

Funny girl . . . :o)
well you made it, the 26th now . . .
and soon a new year commences . . .
blessings!

poetpete said...

Well done, M'am, (tossing avocadoes - I mean accolades!) Now you do remember it comes around once a year, don't you -- 362 days to Christmas! Or is it Crass Mess?

PP