Friday, December 24, 2004

December Report Card



It's Christmas Eve--the time is nearing to get brutally honest with myself. Ok, pretty darn honest, anyway.

While this month of December made many folks insane with the bustling, shopping, partying, egg-nogging, gift-wrapping, cookie-baking, running-- I ask myself, "How did I do?" 

On the ol' December report card, what kinds of grades did I get?

Did I remember to stay calm? Did I recall the real reason for Christmas (Jesus) and take coffee breaks just to think about Him? Was I so tipsy on Christmas-doings that I neglected loved ones? Or did I overdose on the whole Christmas movies, Christmas songs, Christmas cards, Christmas shopping thing?

Hmmm. So ok-- I overdosed a bit. Got distracted. And another confession? I'm anticipating December 26th. A lot.

Ahh, December 26th! Don't laugh, but it's my favorite day of the year. Why? Because it's my personal Return to the normal I love so much. A natural, hour-by-hour type of 'Christmas' I enjoy 11 months out of the year.

But that last month--that December one. Oh dear, that's my personal test month. It severely tests all I have learned the previous eleven. I think I've become more patient this year--then December comes along. I'm sure I've become more peaceful, glad-minded, and trusting---then whoosh! December. 


December shows me what is real--and what's faulty, faked or simply unfinished.

So hooray! December 26th is just two days away. I'll study my December report card then, for it's easier to view my grades when I am surrounded by the lovely, back to blessed Normal.


May you have a wonderful Jesus' birthday tomorrow...


***

"Examine and test and evaluate your own selves to see whether you are holding to your faith and showing the proper fruits of it."
...II Corinthians 13:5



***

No comments: