Saturday, December 18, 2004

At The Ghost Town Mall


Early this morning, well, early for us, Tom and I went to what I call The Ghost Town Mall. So-called because it used to be packed with stores and lights and music and shopping-bag-carrying people, but now, there's basically just memories of those days and a handful of quiet, struggling shops.

But there is a big Sears at one end which still does well and Tom wanted to go there, even though I told him I could think of nothing I'd like from Sears for Christmas. No offense to people who love Sears. This year all I'd like for Christmas besides peace on Earth and a more giving heart, are a handful of DVD's. And well, our Sears doesn't carry any of those things.

But anyway, while Tom shopped at Sears, I ambled down the dark, still-sleeping mall to the coffee shop and bought a plain old little decaf coffee. I carry my own cappucino powder with me in my purse, saves money, fat grams and probably 3 calories. heh. 


At a little bistro table in the mall with my Eleanor Roosevelt's Christmas Book, I discretely added my cappucino powder then put on my reading glasses.

But you know?  I kept setting the book aside because watching the trickling of people wander around this ghost town mall was much more fascinating. Mothers spoke kindly and cheerfully to their sons. Grey-haired folks greeted one another and spoke about the weather and such. Two young girls approached the coffee shop, excitedly talking about the gifts they would buy for others. A quiet Christmas calmness was everywhere, even when the powers-that-be turned on the main lights in the mall and shops began to open.

It was lovely. I sat there warming my hands against my coffee cup and felt relieved that there are still folks who handle December well--and Life, also. May I always remember that, even when the nightly news tries to hypnotize me into believing otherwise.



"Whatever else be lost among the years, Let us keep Christmas still a shining thing: Whatever doubts assail us, or what fears, Let us hold close one day, remembering Its poignant meaning for the hearts of men. Let us get back our childlike faith again."
--Grace Noll Crowell


***

1 comment:

Saija said...

well that's cool . . . we experienced a similar type of day, only i was with my aunt (leo was home resting) . . . it felt peaceful in our little town, no hussle or bustle ... just a calm peace . . . :o)

i also liked your earlier post - good reminder!