Monday, May 18, 2015

Some Monday Fun


*****


It's funny.

I was in the mood to add a couple books to an Amazon order which Tom made for himself in my account. (Long story.)

Of course, I've got over 800 mostly-free books on my Kindle Cloud Reader (via my computer and Amazon) and I should read those, first. But here's the 'problem': this laptop of mine is not the kind you just fiddly-dee pick up and take out to your Prayer Garden. Uh, no. It has, like, 20 cables attached to it, one of which is our house phone, aka Magic Jack, not to mention it's kinda big and I don't believe in putting computers on my lap because of radiation I'm certain is just spewing out of them. Er hem.

And yes, I could just read from it here in our office, but this room is dark-ish and cluttered and dull and I already spend half my life here. I'd like to get out awhile.

Or course, I should just get one of those tiny Kindle readers, but I'm waiting till one's invented that even a 2-year-old can set up and costs about $49 because I'm a cheapskate even though we have enough money. Tom and I did see a museum piece of a Kindle at a yard sale last week for just $20, but that thing screamed dinosaur--and--it didn't come with an instruction manual. So no way.

None of that is the funny part. I'm getting there.

I finally asked myself this morning, "You're not in the mood for books about farming (heaven forbid. I should really give away the we-bought-a-farm books I do own) or 1950's teen-agers (have tons) or cat mysteries or how to be a kinder/wiser/cooler person. Just what type of a book would you like to order?" 

I thought a second: "I want a book about finding adventure in the suburbs. About some vintage-loving, out-of-shape soul happily puttering in her home and yard, making things better inch by inch, doing the best she can with what she's been given."

Then I laughed, "Oh! You mean a book just like your own blog?"

Ha! Yes, I was in the mood for a book whose author lives and writes as I do, which probably sounds conceited but isn't. I'm tired of rereading my own stuff and would much prefer finding someone else with new ideas who will stretch and inspire me and make my little Hobbit Cottage world, better. Everyday I try to read or listen to something that will challenge me so that I'll never become apathetic.

And well, I'm not sure how to end this, but after all this, I puttered outside in my herb garden and this came to me:

Write what you know.
Do what you can.
Share what you've learned.
Give what you have.

Please don't wait for some by-and-by day when you have something huge and perfect to make the world better. No, today, quite likely, someone is waiting, needing, what only you've been tagged to give them. As only you can.

In some instances, tomorrow could be too late.






******


Of course, if you know of a book which reads much like my blog, I'd love for you to share its title with me!


******



Here's a bit of fun for you. I've known my friend, Ginger, since Tom and I were first married (whole eons ago!), and well, over at Facebook she shared a cute photo of her and Henry Winkler, the one and only Fonzie from Happy Days:





And more recently, here she is with the Christian singer, Carman, at one of his concerts:






My, my, my... They both look terrific! (This coming from someone who's younger, yet looks like she could be their mother.)  :)



******


Still not sure that 'small things' (like our words) really matter? Check this out.


******


Free Kindle Books:

The Achievement Factory

Debt Free

Reinventing Rachel


******

In case you've still not heard, you can download a free Kindle Cloud Reader to your computer. Go here. (At least, I think that's the right link. You may need to wander around a bit to find the correct one.)

4 comments:

Terra said...

I like your post and your ideas "share what you learn, give ... etc."
Our laptop has cables on it too, so our kindle is handy for taking outside and reading. I am like you about spending money on things we don't need, but ereaders are so portable! Maybe that is a birthday or Christmas present in the future for you.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I just wanted to say that you can find most instruction manuals online if you need them.....I liked my original kindle which died (I now think because I used to be using it while it was charging) better than the newer one. But I love being able to toss about 600 books in my purse and take it to the doctor's office with me. I know, it sounds ridiculous. And I like best to read a real book, an older hardback with smooth ivory pages and nice print....

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Oh, I wanted to say that I think you and Tom would love, love, love the new netflix series Granite Flats..........I do!

Debra said...

Terra--yep! Maybe I'll finally ask for one for Christmas. It's weird, but I've considered doing that for years, yet haven't. It'll probably be one of those things where I'll say, "What took me so long to get one of these?" :)

Kristi--yeah, that's actually been the main reason I've considered getting a Kindle--to take with me the 2 times I go with Tom to the doctor each year and wait 3 hours. If I had to go more often, I'd definitely have gotten one by now.

But I don't know. One night I read several Kindle reviews and everything sounded so complicated-- all the features and problems and things to think about, etc. Finally it came to me--"My head is spinning! We're just talking about books here. Oh, to just hold a simple paper book." :)

Maybe one day I'll take the plunge. :)

Thanks for the series recommendation! I went over to Netflix after reading your comment and it *does* sound like something we'd enjoy. We're planing to check it out this weekend, Thanks again so much!

Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra