Friday, October 11, 2013

Why I Love (Some) Reality Shows



"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh".   ... Ezekiel 36:26

*******

So on Wednesday Tom and I began watching Alaska State Troopers by way of Netflix.

Not a show for everyone. I get that.

But we do adore Alaska programs-- Flying Wild Alaska positively enthralled our hearts (well...) and now these Alaska State Troopers, oh my! What variety in their jobs as well as unique challenges (in some episodes they can't even keep up with the calls about drunkenness or, sadly, attempted suicides), plus, we get to view more breath-taking Alaskan scenery and learn about tiny-town life.

Other reality shows I love?

Hoarders
Hoarding: Buried Alive
Undercover Boss
Undercover Boss, Canada
Clean House
What Not To Wear (probably not a reality show, per se, but close enough)
Out of the Wild: The Alaska Experiment
Out of the Wild: Venezuela

Now, some of you may hate those kinds of shows and I get that, too. Honest.

But for me? When I see not-so-nice people behaving badly, I positively feel God's eyes upon me and it's as though He asks, "What will you do with that, Debra? Will you be upset with those people and shout at the tv, 'What a jerk! How can anyone act like that?' ...

... or will you pray for these people and view them through eyes of compassion? Will you see them as I do, people I sent Jesus to die for?"

Gulp.

And you know? After some years (and tons of work on God's part) He's used these short tv glimpses into peoples' lives to break open my formerly stony heart, exposing the softer heart of flesh inside--the new heart He's creating within me, tiny piece by tiny piece.

And that is why I love these shows.

It's as though they've, well, given me a pair of Compassion Glasses through which to view, first, 'the why behind the what' (as Joyce Meyer says). A desire to look deeper, to remain aware of life outside my own happy world. To see the potential, hope and possibility for change on the inside of peoples' rough-exterior if only they'd allow Jesus to come in and replace all the garbage with brand new (real) Life.

Just as He's done--and is still doing--within me.

"There but for the grace of God go I."





**********


"So, help me see through the eyes of the hurting
Lord break my heart, Lord break my heart
'Cause true grace sees a face, not a burden
Come break my heart, won't You break my heart?"  



.... From the Song, Break My Heart, by Jonny Diaz



********

"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."   ... John 3:17

"If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal."   1 Corinthians 13:1


*******

Oh! Forgot to mention yesterday why Tom and I often search online for (cheap) houses to buy: We're toying with the idea of keeping Hobbit Cottage as a rental house for extra income should Tom decide to retire early.

Why not stay in Hobbit Cottage and just buy a cheap house to rent out? 1.) We're probably insane and 2.) That would be too easy and 3.) We enjoy playing around with the thought of new adventure.  :)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love this post! I also like those reality shows Debra probably for the same reason. I have learned that when people behave badly it is usually because they are hurting or have been hurt badly. It does put a different perspective on it!

Debra said...

Elizabeth--exactly! Your words express just how I feel, but then, you do always seem to understand what I'm really trying to say. Thanks! Blessings, Debra