Monday, October 07, 2013

Another Perfectly-Timed Present


"People were overwhelmed with amazement. "He has done everything well," they said."   ... Mark 7:37

******

Oh, the peace! God's giving me a special, short stay-cation, even with all these rainy mornings, doesn't matter, the peace is palpable as I sit here, listening. Much. 

And He even gave me an awesome present.

See, back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth (well....) Tom, Naomi and I had real cable tv for a couple years and one show that I recall loving? What Not To Wear, you know, the one with Stacy and Clinton. And well, a ton of times in the past 8 (or so) years, these strange cravings have overcome me to watch that show, but could I locate full episodes anywhere? Uh, no. Instead, I'd just find disappointment (insert crickets chirping here).

Well. Yesterday after I'd finished watching everything interesting in our Netflix queue, I did some I'll-probably-not-find-anything-super-because-I've-already-looked searching through Netflix' instant list and oh. My. Goodness! There it was! Season 9 of What Not To Wear.

My custom-made present from God while Tom's away in California.

Now, ok. Some of you probably can't believe I love that show. Why's it a favorite?

1.) The banter between Stacy and Clinton. Oh wow. I think they're hilarious and I especially love their show-opening skits. And their dry, sarcastic humor? Well, that's my favorite kind (be that bad or good), but I (and many folks) can't get away with that because it requires balance, timing, perfect tone and much compassion--and most of us can't keep all those plates simultaneously spinning. Yet Stacy and Clinton can and do (though thin-skinned people disagree) and they make me laugh until I cry, leading to some serious catharsis.

2.) I adore make-overs, watching the metamorphose of something drab turn into something fab. That's rather like making this world better, one person at a time, knowing that it's never just one anything, really, because any good change causes ripples which flow outward, touching other people.

3.) How refreshing to watch folks who want to change, those who open their hearts to the scary thing called Something New, Something Better, something that can lead to freedom.

There's more, but you get the idea. (Stacy and Clinton do exactly what they're called to do and so their excitement for it never dies. Love that. Oh yeah--and they inspire me to dress nicely.)  :)

So I'm having fun, relaxing, not making real meals or ironing or raking leaves, but instead, (besides watching tv), I'm tweaking some décor, washing the pans I tend to hide in the oven (er-hem) and I even removed my upstairs' air-conditioner from the window, quickly snatching Daniel from said un-screened window the very minute I removed the a/c (he'd been downstairs and I just knew he'd race upstairs and risk his life like that. Cats.....sigh.)

And all within this season is very well. Even so. Indeed.




***
Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not.--Vaclav Havel


****



"To everything there is a season, a time, a purpose under Heaven."   ... Ecclesiastes 3:1

"A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."   ... Proverbs 17:22

2 comments:

K.E. said...

I loved that show too. They really do care about the people they're working with. At least that was my take on it.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a great show too, Debra! I hear that this is the last season (the one that currently on TV now). Makeovers are fun! :)