Monday, February 21, 2005

... Before I Wake


"Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord
My soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord
My soul to take."

For some weeks this line has haunted me, "If I should die before I wake."

No, not in its literal sense. But in this sense:

How often do people die before they wake to God's love for them?
Before realizing Jesus came to help them live abundantly?
Before walking around with His peace bursting in their hearts?

How many have died before waking to the beauty of Life?
To the grace of living simply?
To the beauty of sharing?
To the enchantment of a sunrise?
To the wonder of a good book?

How many people die without ever taking country drives?
Or taking vacations with the ones they love?
Or watching local softball games on a summer evening?
Or feeling rich in all ways not related to money?

How many people die without ever really opening their eyes?

"If I should die before I wake..."

I want to stay awake--late--
Way past my bedtime--
Awake to it all--
Eyes open wide--
Loving it all--
Not missing a single thing.


***
"Those who look for beauty, find it." ... unknown

"I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows)." John 10:10

***

No comments: