Monday, February 07, 2005

American Idol Musings


Okay. I'm coming out of the closet: I am an American Idol viewer.

I almost feel like Adam on this one, except I would say: "Lord, the man you gave to me-- He did offer American Idol to me and I did partake."

(If you are one of those Christians who does not have a sense of humor, you might want to stop reading this right now.)  ッ

No really. I analyze this show and can you believe some of those people? They truly believe they have marvelous singing voices. They view singing as their destiny, that they're prepared for the limelight. With their whole heart, mind and soul.

And here is the scary part--That is very much like our own deceptions.

Sometimes we have believed we were ready for Big Time Ministry so we listened to no one, ran out there, fell splat. We may even have had the gift, but not the character to support us where the gift would take us. Hence, another disaster on the Christian plain, rolling over in the dust. Crash.

And looking back, we would have done anything to have a Simon Cowell tell us forcefully, "You are not ready." Or, "You are not a ______" (fill in the blank). It would have saved so much wasted time and hurt feelings, lives.

Even the right dream pursued at the wrong time becomes the wrong dream. Perhaps we were called to be office workers instead. Anointed, grace-given office workers, but office co-workers just the same. Happiness and passion would have been there--if acceptance had paved the way.

But oh. Each time a truly gifted singer stands in front of the American Idol panel and sings-- I close my eyes and enjoy the song with all my heart. The Bible says a man's gift will make a place for him and that is true. My heart has huge auditoriums for those gifted singers.

I love recognizing gifted people. I've written about them before.

But even more, I love to see people use their quiet, legitimate gifts. The non-hoopla, non-in-front-of-an-audience gifts. And nothing makes me happier than to see those same people happy, very content in doing exactly what God called them to.

Most likely they'll never be nominated in an awards show in this World. To enjoy their journey and love God more than the dream or the praise of men, is reward enough for them.

No, their awards show will come later and we'll all have a heavenly good time watching that ceremony.



******

No comments: