Thursday, January 20, 2005

Wonder Years



"When we were in our wonder years, if the electricity was lost during a storm, it was more magical than inconvenient. Everything was transformed by candlelight, and everyone gathered together in one room--a special conviviality for a special occasion. We slowed down, edged our way through the darkness, and used all our senses to rediscover the familiar." ... Sarah ban Breathnach


"When we were in our wonder years..." Past tense. How sad that sounds.

I want these years to be my wonder years.

I want to welcome snow with the heart of a let's-go-sledding child instead of a gosh-I-hate-driving-in-this-stupid-snow adult.

And may I feel safe even when the outside world fights and screams and threatens.

I want to awaken each morning with at least ten happy things to look forward to and anticipate the future and love the now.

May I keep the wonder, lose the dread and lower fear out of the window.

God and wonder. The perfect mix for hearts which long to stay young.


******


"'Cause these are the good old days." ... Carly Simon

"From without, no wonderful effect is wrought within ourselves, unless some interior, responding wonder meets it." ... Daisy Bates


***

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Hey Debra, is that part of a Grandma Moses painting? Sure looks like one. She painted so many neat winter scenes. Again - brings my gram to mind. She taught herself to paint when she was about fifty. She mostly did (excellent) reproductions of the masters - the Mona Lisa, Blue Boy, etc. But her sketching was like Grandma Moses! Anyways good thoughts about the wonder years. I believe the past, present and future all have a place in our lives but viewed in the right perspective!

Debra said...

Hi Samantha... Wow! That's exactly what I've wanted to do for years--to write a Christian version of Simple Abundance. In fact, that's partly what inspired me to begin this blog and I guess in a tiny way, this is my attempt to write such a book. At least, my version of Simple Abundance. Actually, I often read Simple Abundance and like it a lot. I just take from it the things which inspire me and leave the rest alone. :o) Thanks for sending your post link!
Dianne-- Wow, your grandmother really was amazing! Again, I really enjoyed your post about her. The painting with this post was done by William Titus of
Watchung, NJ. I, too, love Grandma Moses' art. Have you read her autobiography? It's one of the best books I've ever read. Thanks for reminding me--I'll have to pull it from my shelves and read it again soon...
Thanks, Ladies, and God bless..... Debra