Friday, January 14, 2005

Of Pity Parties And Other Places


I've had God drag me out of a few pity parties. I'm always embarrassed when He comes through the door, brushes past the noisy (invisible) crowd and finds me slumped over at a little table, drunk on self-pity cordial. You've tasted self-pity cordial, haven't you? It's warm and red and goes down smooth--at first. But then an hour later it makes your head throb and you feel worse, as though the best days of your life are over. And when you look around at those people who haven't yet succumbed, you hate the ones who are laughing. You think they are laughing at you.

I've had people tell me, "God takes me, accepts me, right where I am." And yes, He does.

But if He finds us at a pity party, He certainly doesn't want to leave us there. He does all He can to take our arm and pull us outside for some cold, fresh air. Then He walks us to a better place. A place where no self-pity cordial is served from the bar.

Yet only if we cooperate. Only if we let Him take our arm. Only if we leave the dark places and walk with Him to the light just up the road.

2 comments:

poetpete said...

This is too true, Debra.

Most of my pity parties only have me in attendance, until He comes along, of course. The verse, Rev 3:20 came to mind, "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.Not quite a pity party but what the Lord says to believers here is similar -- we have to invite him into our lives and dine with him. His presence will make all the difference (and no doubt tidy up our manners!).

BTW, I am amazed at how readily you have something to write about and post here on your blog. I think a lot about a lot of things but don't write so much. You seem to manage to get it all down on paper, which is excellent; and good for you, too, and a benefit to us who read/indulge ourselves.

You mentioned somewhere else about your handwritten-journal. Would you like to write a little about that? Mine tends to be a jumble of all sorts of things. I do remember you keep a pre-printed one, is that the only one?

Not wishing to pry; I am simply fascinated by people that do such things and their reasons and process in doing it and how it turns out 'on paper'.

Peter

Debra said...

Thanks, guys.
Pete-- I hope I answered your questions in my email.
Fish-- I know what you mean. I, too, usually take just a look at the self-pity cordial now and I run the other way. Well, most of the time. :o)
God bless... Debra