Monday, January 24, 2005

Loving Whichever Season I'm In


It's winter and my moaning
Will not shorten this season of
Snow and ice and bitter cold--
But I can lengthen it
By hating it--
The hours will creep,
The cold will bite harder
If I'm resenting the whole mess.

My life has Winters, too--
Times where God
Keeps me inside,
Holds me still,
Performs a little surgery.
(It's hard to operate upon
A woman who's sprinting
And who won't shut-up.)

And after the recovery time--
The healing,
Winter slides me--woosh!--
Into Spring
Where afternoons and color
Resume like an album
Held under the needle,
And gaining speed, plays music.

And then I find it matters
How I behave during Winter--
I can shorten it
After all
By learning its lessons,
Cooperating, appreciating
And then moving on--
Traveling at God's speed--
Which, though seldom fast,
Is always just right.
Even perfect.

And coming out a new person
In a new day--
Ready, prepared, anticipating.


***


"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome." ...Anne Bradstreet


"Be still, and know that I am God..." ... Psalm 46:10

4 comments:

Michael said...

Debra,

Beautiful

Take Care
Michael

daisymarie said...

I love the hint of pink peeking through the trees. It's such a hopeful thing. Winter can seem so long, with it cold and dreary days. But sometimes I try to imagine the water as it seeps into the soil, tickling the seeds and bulbs of the flowers waiting to bring the joy of spring into view. May there be laughter tickling your senses today, too!

Saija said...

first of all, i LOVE the view from your porch ... there is something beautiful about the first days after a storm ... something so fresh and serene ...

second, i must say AMEN to your thoughts ... i find that "grace grows best in winter"... i know, it was a good book too! ...

thank you for taking the time to listen to the Lord, who allows you to blog such wonderful thoughts, to share with the rest of us! i so appreciate you Sister! ... saija

Debra said...

All of your coments are so encouraging and I do thank each of you. Seeker of Truth--thanks for your first-time comment. I went to your blog and recognized the journey you are on... and I was blessed to see that you are wanting more of God.
Thanks again, Everyone... Debra