Sunday, January 09, 2005

Shock Value Post



Sometimes while you're keeping a blog, you get into a mischievous mood. You toy with the idea of writing something which will shock your readers.

So that's what I'm going to do here. Well, sort-of.

I'll give you a list of the last sixteen books I have read. Why? Because it will shock some of you that these are the kinds of books I read and love best.

Oh, some of you won't be shocked. You'll be greatly amused, maybe even feel sorry for me. I've read some of your book lists and just the titles and author's names, alone, impress me. Almost by osmosis, or something, I can feel how 'deep' those books are. I can sense their good kind of 'heaviness.'

Who knows, really knows, how anyone will react to what we write? We are all so different. But I do know this: A fraction of you who have read my blog for a few months will be shocked that these are the kinds of books I love to read year after year:

Friday's Tunnel by John Verney (a children's novel, 1959)
Saturday Cousins by Rebecca Caudill (a children's novel, 1959)
Fair Exchange by Jean Nielsen (a teen novel, 1964)
It's Bright in My Valley by Philip J. Cleveland (a pastor's memoirs, 1962)
The Year of The Jeep by Keith Robertson (a young adult novel, circa 1970)
Mary Cary by Kate Langley Bosher (a children's novel, 1910)
Stand In The Wind by Jean Little (a children's novel, 1975)
Beverly Gray, Senior by Clair Blank (a teen novel, 1934)
Three Stuffed Owls by Keith Robertson (a children's novel, circa 1972)
Andy and Willie by Lee Sheridan Cox (a children's novel, circa 1965)
Three Churches & A Model T by Philip J. Cleveland (a pastor's memoirs, 1960)
The North Woods by William Irving (a young adult novel, circa 1925)
Spice Box by Grace Livingston Hill (a teen novel, 1943)
Diane's New Love by Betty Cavanna (a teen novel, 1955)
To School Thro' The Fields by Alice Taylor (a woman's childhood memories, 1990)
Emmy Lou--Her Book and Heart by George Madden Martin (a children's novel, 1901)

(Pause for the wiping away of tears from either laughter or pity.)

Obviously I don't get much blog fodder from the books I read.

No, I get most of my blog posts from listening.I do a lot of listening. Everyday. At home and everywhere I go.

Some of you know what I mean.


***

5 comments:

Saija said...

then there are things that make you go "hmmmmm", like Debra's booklist . . . hmmmm . . . (said with a smile).

Cindy Swanson said...

Debra, most of your titles sound unfamiliar to me...but I LOVE Betty Cavanna. She was one of my very favorite writers when I was growing up, even though the paperbacks I bought in the 70s were reprints of books she had written much earlier.

There were two I especially remember. Maybe you could help me out with the titles. One was about a girl and her mother whose names were Vicky and Victoria (I think the mom was Vicky.) The mom was youthful, slim and beautiful, and the daughter was pudgy and awkward and resented her mother. Eventually the girl met an Italian-American guy and fell in love--his name was Pietro. She ends up resolving her issues with her mom.

The other was about a girl whose father is the host of a TV variety show. The girl wants to be in show biz, too, but she is pudgy and awkward too. She eventually spends a year in Paris, where she falls in love and emerges from her cocoon.

I loved both those books and read them over and over again...I have no idea where they are now; maybe I'll try to find them online. Anybody remember the titles?

Dianne said...

I don't think I've read many of those books - I do love old books and read a lot of children's books. I was on a Moffats kick for a while. Thanks for the reading list!

Debra said...

Saija--Surprised you, huh? :o)
Cindy-- Oh, I too, read Betty Cavanna while growing-up and now I own (and often reread) probably ten of her earlier books. I also enjoyed other authors in that genre while I was a teenager: Anne Emery, Rosamond du Jardin, Bianca Bradbury, Leonora Mattingly Weber, etc., and I still collect and read those books. Anyway, the two you described do sound familiar, but I don't own those. Perhaps I can help you locate them on the Net.
Dianne-- I have sometimes listed The Moffats as my all-time favorite series of books. I discovered them only four years ago and very often reread them. Aren't they marvelous? I liked them even more when I discovered that they are quite autobiographical.
Thanks, Everyone, for your comments. God bless... Debra

Debra said...

Thanks, Fish! You put into words exactly how I feel. God bless... Debra