Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Harvey Philosophy 101



I've told you before that a small TV and VCR sit on top of our refrigerator in our yellow, shadowy kitchen. I had almost retired from cooking from scratch--after all, I've been married 26 years and that's a whole lot of blueberry muffins-- when we placed the TV and VCR up there. And amazingly, I love cooking again. I spend afternoon hours in my kitchen listening to Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart and okay... Kevin James (forgive me) at 5:30 each evening while I make dinner.

And all right, some of you are rolling your eyes at the whole idea of bribing myself to cook from scratch in this mindless, worldly way. But at my advanced age (I am halfway to 90 years old, you know...) you find what works for you, and then you stick with it. That is, until it no longer works for you. If you're wise, that's when you let go of it.

Anyway, for days now, I've been watching the old Jimmy Stewart movie, Harvey, while baking muffins and chicken and making applesauce. I love Harvey philosophy. I live by some of it, even. Well, certain parts.

When the Harvey-loving Elwood P. Dowd says, "Every day is a beautiful day," I nod my head and agree. I mean, doesn't every day have the potential of being beautiful? It's what we do to a day, that usually mars it, yet we go around swearing it's the day that mars us, instead.

And then look at Elwood's spirit of hospitality. He's out in the 'highways and byways, inviting them to come in' to his home for dinner. He doesn't even require them to pass the tests most of us would issue first. No, Elwood sees all strangers as potential friends and gladly invites them in. Definitely Jesus would give him an A+ in Hospitality. I hate to think what grade I'm getting in that class.

Harvey Philosophy is about as deep as it goes for me. I like my philosophy to get only as deep as I can live it. Maybe another day I will share more of it with you, but for now, I'll just end with this from the scene in Dr. Chumley's office:

"Mother always told me: 'In this world, Elwood,'"(she always called me Elwood)," you have to be oh-so-smart, or oh-so-pleasant.'
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant..."

So do I, Elwood. So do I.


***

4 comments:

Jammie J. said...

Ohh, I know why the TV/VCR helps you like to cook again. It's because you needyour brain active. I know for me, cooking is rather boring without music or something going on.

I was going to say on your post "Come away with me" about coming to God when he calls you to spend time with Him ... for me, establishing a routine (morning and evening) helps me be spontaneous with Him, too. How? Because I feel more at ease about it. I mean, I JUST visited with Him. Does that make sense?

daisymarie said...

I've never watched this movie. The philosophy sounds simple, wholesome.....refreshing!

Debra said...

Jeanette--Always good to hear from you! You always sound so cheerful (love that about you...smile...)
Daisymarie--Oh yes! Harvey is the epitome of charming movies. I think you'd really enjoy it. It should be available to rent anywhere or perhaps your city library has it. If you do watch Harvey, I'd love to know what you think about it. Thanks for visiting here again!
God bless both you ladies.... Debra

eirwenes said...

Hi Debra, it's Beth! This is the most amazing coincidence. I hardly did any cooking for the first 9 years of my marriage. Then, my husband bought a small-screen TV/VCR combination unit for the kitchen, and I'm a chef now! The first night we brought it home, I spent 4 hours in the kitchen cooking!