Monday, November 15, 2004

An Easier Way to Write




Just a simple post today, but one which I hope will shake you as it shook me.

William Cobbett in his book, Rural Rides, wrote:

"Sit down to write what you have thought, and not to think what you shall write."

Since reading that sentence two years ago, I've recognized that my best writing nearly always comes from recording the thoughts I've pondered for days, months or even years. And if God has been part of that meditation, well, the writing flows.

(Seems everything keeps coming back to spending time with God. Hmm.)

Just handing out a piece of gum for you to chew on today.

Happy chomping.









***

4 comments:

poetpete said...

Can you blow bubbles while chewing that sort of gum or does it burst and you loose focus?

Think on about chewing or chew on about thinking
a bit like
write about thinking or think about writing

Sharyn always tells me when I chew those lollies or lozengers that are designed for sucking.

chomp chomp

Why did I write all that? I think I must be mad.

Debra said...

Uh-oh, Pete... Me thinks you are thinking (chewing?) *too* much! :o) God bless...Debra

poetpete said...

Samantha, Now there is a thought in itself - very profound indeed. You may be onto something there.

Debra, yeah, I think you could be write, but it was about 6:30 am and my mind was still on warm-up and my body was still firing up its glow-plug. Thats my stick and I am excusing to it.

Jammie J. said...

I'm always thoughtful on how many things I think but think that others won't or don't think about them, but when I bring them out, I find out that others think about them all the time. It's just they had never thought to think them out loud.