Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Your Thousands of Hours





" ... 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God."  ... Romans 14:11,12


*******

Oh. My. Goodness.

This afternoon I sat upon the red couch watching this video--




--when suddenly, wow! I burst into tears. That is so not like me. I'm not a bigtime cry-er.

But there I was dabbing at my face and knowing--knowing--my favorite dances in Heaven will be like this one, above, and this, below, which I've adored since age 14--




I don't care what other dances they're doing up there--always--modern ballet will be the dance of my heart. And guess who's already pre-registered for ballet classes in Heaven? No, really, my reservation is in.  ツ

Anyway, what does this have to do with my title?

That dancing couple reminded me of something, namely, ways I've spent my thousands of hours upon Earth. That young man and woman? Obviously they've expended thousands of hours in dance, but what have I done more than (to be accurate and non-exaggerating) 2,000 hours in my 60 years? 

Hmm. Well, I've--


been a wife (and cooked oh so many meals) シ
been a mom and raised a child
decorated my homes
done endless housework
puttered in my gardens
attended church services
eaten meals
written over 3400 blog posts
listened to Joyce Meyer teach
read books
dreamed and imagined lovely ideas/possibilities
written and sent snail mail letters and cards
watched tv and movies (er hem!)
encouraged people online (and in Real Life)
listened to music
prayed prayers, read the Bible, spent time with Jesus



All of these I've poured more than 2,000 hours, each, of myself into. (And remember, I've had 60 l-o-n-g years to do those.)

How do I know? My blog has become my gauge of sorts. Most posts require one to two hours to write so, oh my! That's anywhere from 3,400 to 6,000+ hours right there.

Spend a few weekly hours doing anything over 15 years and the large numbers of hours will shock you. Contemplate this for yourself regarding your own life, ok? Please. You'll mostly be encouraged.

My question today? How did you spend your thousands of hours? What did you give your life to? What beautiful things did those hours create?

And finally, you know how, when we were children, we'd write those What I Did Over My Summer Vacation essays? Today I'd also query this:

-- when we're similarly asked in Heaven, "What Did You Do Over Your Earthly Lifetime?" "How Did You Spend Your Thousands of Hours?", well, what shall we say? Will we be satisfied with our answers?

How glorious that we still have time to make some changes.











“Don’t waste your time in anger, regrets, worries, and grudges. Life is too short to be unhappy.” ― Roy T. Bennett


That first video? It's one from The Piano Guys. Gee, they're a calming blessing during these crazy-world days of ours.


Image may contain: flower, plant, nature and outdoor

"But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."   ... Isaiah 40:31

******





"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

6 comments:

Betsy said...

I think of this often. What will I say when I'm asked what I did for others on this earth? I hope my answers are a sweet fragrance to the Lord.
Thank you for making us think yet again Debra. I hoping for a wonderful Wednesday evening for you.
Blessings,
Betsy

Debi @ Tuesdays Child said...

Ya know Debra, after just reading this post (which was like so many others ... making a person stop and really "think") - do you know what "I" think?

I thank that you, my dear - in your own way are like Joyce Meyer! How, you might ask? Well, because - you have the gift in how to word things and also to make one stop and think (and then if needed, to work on changing their ways.)

Thank you once again! Oh and I hope you don't have some sort of copy-right on your blog posts because the many e-mails I've saved ... some from years ago and of course, many recent ones as well - you have posted things and here and there.

The things that really hit me, I would like to start a new journal (Happy Planner) and to copy the parts of your blog posts that REALLY made me stop to THINK.

It's easy to do that (think on it) at the time one reads it but then as with everything, life moves on and then the e-mails get buried in the in-box and after awhile, those wonderful nuggets of wisdom are lost for the longest time (at least in my in-box they are! lol)

But, if I were to copy the things that really make me THINK and of things I feel I need to change and to work on, well ... I'd have those all together in one binder so I can easily access them at all times. (I hope that would be okay with you?)

Debi @ Tuesdays Child said...

Well darn, in the second paragraph of my comment above it is SUPPOSED to say I THINK (not thank!) ... I guess I should have re-read it before hitting submit. lol

Deb said...

I LOVE that you've already registered for ballet in heaven! I just put in an order to be in YOUR class! And requested a frilly pink tutu as well! ;) Can't wait!

Pam said...

I want to echo Betsy's and Debi's appreciation, Debra. As long as I have been following you, you have been faithful to share whatever the Holy Spirit lays on your heart and mind. You've invested many, many hours into this ministry of yours--and into all of us readers. Thank you! We're all so fortunate to have a Lord who gently leads and prods us, to make better and better choices, as we live life. Debra, since we know there will be no tears in heaven, I'm guessing we'll all look fabulous in our tutus! Won't we have the best time?!!!

Debra said...

Betsy--I'm so glad you often think of this. I'm finding myself often considering Heaven these days. There's so much to anticipate, right?

Debi--oh my! Yours is one of the sweetest, most appreciated comments I've ever received. Thank you so much, my friend. God has spoken to me through your words--again, thanks.

Deb--oh yes! I'd absolutely love to take ballet classes with you. You'd make the whole experience more fun and lovely. I'll see you there, ok? (I'll be the one in the pink dress like the girl in the first video wore. ) :)

Pam--thank-you for your encouraging words! So appreciated, truly. And oh my! I giggled at your sentence about no tears and tutus. If I'm understanding it correctly it was so funny!


Thanks so very much, Everyone! Blessings, Debra