Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Where She Celebrates A Birthday In A Different-Feeling World




" ...  and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”'  ... Hebrews 13:5


******


So good ol' Debra awoke yesterday on her birthday in a darkish mood. She's not corona-fearful at all, but gosh, she's been annoyed.

Er hem. There, I said it.

I mean, some of my friends are being all saintly-preachy about these shut-down-Life changes, but I'm noticing they're--mostly-- the barely-stay-home types (or stay-at-homes with no out-and-about ministries). Yep, they're all staycation-tipsy-anticipatory about their new lifestyle. 

Well Honey, my job has always been to stay home. I've not even stepped into a supermarket in 19 months and guess who, over months, binge-watched hundreds of The Daily Woo episodes, then told Tom, "I'm ready to get out more! Let's visit vintage roadside attractions! Let's travel!"

Yep. Me.

And my dearly-loved coffee shop I'm always writing about? We're not allowed to sit there until further notice. They're just doing take-out. Oooo..... guess who had to calm herself down after hearing that? (And yes, yes, for the saintly-preachy; I'm grateful for take-out. I went there this morning. Got my coffee and a muffin. Stop nagging.)  ツ

Anyway! Back to my birthday yesterday.

I can't believe how perfect my mid-morning felt. I did my birthday ritual of walking to 7-11 to pick up breakfast ice cream (chocolate turtle cheesecake. Oh. My. Goodness.) and wishing the clerk a happy birthday. Yes, her special day is also the 16th.

Got home, clicked on Disney Plus (Tom's friend gave us his fam's password, yeswe'reblessed. No, that's not the password!) and had this odd thought, "Why not watch something you've never seen before?" (Such a novel idea!) That's when I found the newly-released Stargirl. I began the movie, opened my pint of ice cream and wow. My head swirled at how good is God.

Perfect ice cream.
Perfect birthday movie.

And dozens of friends wished me happy birthday at Facebook.
The sun burst through the clouds.
The day was nearly warm enough to rake a few leaves--so I did.
I received 2 Amazon gift cards.
A gorgeous paper birthday card arrived from my dear friend, Wilma.
I heard from Naomi. And my sister. Heard from lots of folks all day.

And all my frustrations with coronavirus changes flew out the window, especially as I chose to meditate more upon the freedoms we still have, rather than the ones we've lost.

How awesome of our great God to hand me such a wonderful time even while at home, even alone. And even when I'd been a bad, bad girl lately, you know, letting the annoyances get to me.

How wonderful is His mercy to me. To you. To us all.






This awoke me last night: Some folks are concerned that all these shut-downs bug me. But you know? I'd be way worried about myself if I, without even a whimper, watched the government snatch away my personal rights, then just hid away inside my house in an unquestioning, sleepy-apathetic silence.




******


And ha! Had to smile when I read this today--


"Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgment."   ...Proverbs 18:1

Preach it. Preach it.  シ

(Let's all keep our sense of humor during these days, ok?)

Image may contain: possible text that says 'When this may we never again for granted A handshake with stranger Full shelves at the store Conversations with neighbors A crowded theatre Friday night out The taste of communion A routine checkup The school rush each morning Coffee with a friend The stadium roaring Each deep deep breath A boring Tuesday Life itself. When this ends, may we find that we have become more people we wanted to we were called to we hoped be may we stay better for each other because of the worst. LAURA KELLY FANUCCI'


Here's something lovely to watch------and I never even liked this song until I heard Angelina sing it!


Image may contain: plant, flower, outdoor and nature


"Frustration means trying to do something you can't do anything about."   ... Joyce Meyer


Funny how we can think we're super spiritual, but then throw a change at us, one that hits us in our soft spot? Oh dear. That's when we discover how spiritual we truly are (and feel a little horrified).



******

A very special thanks to all of you who wished me happy birthday at Facebook! As mentioned, it helped make my day a glorious one.





"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

7 comments:

Angela said...

Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you got lots of love!

Rebecca said...

Belated birthday wishes! Sounds like you did just fine w/o my greeting.🤣

How I love your attitude!

Betsy said...

I'm glad you had a good day for your birthday. Isn't it funny how we don't like being told what to do? I ventured out this morning to the grocery store, my first time out of the house since I got my snow tires off last Wednesday. I was shocked at all of the empty shelves and LINES around the building at 5:00 a.m.! Unreal in the United States. How blessed we have been. I agree with the essay on your post. I hope this makes us truly appreciate all of our blessings when we are again able to move about freely.
Wishing you a lovely day my friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Yes, a belated Happy Birthday Debra. :-) Our 50th anniversary is in a few days and I wanted to celebrate with dinner with family out but that will not be. :( They are even afraid to visit and want us naturally to stay home as much as we possibly can. We are Way over 65 ! Going on 75 all too soon... :-))))) We are home kept for getting prescription that cannot come to home or a few other thing that can not be not done. Even our tax person is called instead of us going...their idea ! They are doing this to everyone they can. Or face to face on line. Face to face they can even look at your tax paper work ! What an age we live in. !! So far I am not goofy over being Here. Plenty of chores as usual and we are home so much usually anyway. The birds and animals in our yards always keep us busy and even the sky is entertainment. Never a sky the same. Being home is wonderful to me. I liked the freedom of being able to get away off and on though and that is very limited for now. But that we CAN be home and ok is a blessing.

We are so used to getting to a store and finding all we ever want there. In America that is how it has been for us. Now that the store shelfs are bare it is like the Twilight Zone. When the new grocery ads came in the mail today I looked our favorite store's over. Circled a few thing that I wanted to look at if we got there. The...realized that these things probably will be gone if we get there. !! Another reason for keeping a pantry. :) Perhaps we will not take things for granted now. We never fully realized how truly blessed in so many tons of ways we are. We were out to get just milk a while back. No milk in store after store. No meat, no dairy of any kind, no bread, no this no that ..not a one. The store signs said only one per customer but there was not even one in any local grocery stores of so many things. It makes you think and makes you thankful for all the years we as a nation did not have to live like this. God truly has blessed us.

Well Debra...how dos]es it feel like to be 16 ??? :-))) Sarah

Pam said...

Happy belated birthday, Debra!! I'm glad you found ways to enjoy your special day. That's what all of us need to try to do--get creative and make the most of what we CAN still do. Oh my, I loved Laura Fanucci's words. I have a feeling that the entire world will look at life differently due to this virus.

I've been praying for Tom's to feel better. How is he doing?

Pam said...

"Tom" not Tom's (sorry)

Debi @ Tuesdays Child said...

Oh Debra, I am so sorry that I missed your birthday. Happy Belated Birthday, Friend! Though I have been on the computer every day, I haven't stayed on it near as long as usual and there are e-mails sitting here that I have still yet to read.

I'm happy that the ice cream and movie helped ya to have a nice day (personally the ice cream alone would've done that for me even without the movie. lol)

Have an awesome Sunday!

Debi