Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Where I Was Yesterday and Other Stories


"And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus."   ... Philippians 4:19


*****


So on Monday, ol' Debra drove over streets pot-holed by loads of rock salt to the theater where she watched Still Alice while munching on candy, having a grand time with her black wool coat over her like a blanket in that dark room with only twelve people, all gray-haired, older and silent.

Julianne Moore certainly deserved her Oscar. She actually appeared to to change, to age, and the film was just right, although I had to slow down my head to match its pace. It's all those cop shows I watch--my brain kept waiting for a car chase though it thought one quite unlikely.

But uh-oh! Tuesday I had a stomach ache.(The theater candy's fault?) Nearly all day, though I drank ginger shaken into juice (dreadful, repulsive stuff, but it helped) and took extra acidolphulus. I laid upon the couch and longed for my much-loved flavored seltzer water, but there was none and no Tom to call to bring some home from work. Yes, I could have called a neighbor, but my first-born tendencies so hate to bother anyone.

(I know. I know.)

Oh, and hours after Tom usually Skypes (keeping me from truly being able to rest while I waited, listened, and lectured myself about not worrying) he had a friend send me an email with an explanation: his Internet was out. 

But I survived and oh this morning! I felt close to normal and when I wheeled the trash can to the curb I almost twirled with delight because there were 36 foggy, fresh-smelling degrees out there and the snow upon the sidewalks had nearly all melted. Spring felt so close and already today was much, much better than yesterday.

It's seriously true. Rough times makes the good times shine more brightly and this whole sunny, average Wednesday has felt like the grandest of celebrations.



*****


Two odd things happened lately.

I'd ordered more votive candles online and the mailman came driving up in in his truck--are you sitting down?--on Sunday.

I have never seen such a thing in all my nearly 56 years.

I mean, when UPS dropped off boxes on a Sunday near Christmas time, it surprised me. And I was shocked when the cable guy hooked us up on a Sunday morning. But a little white USPS mail truck delivering a package on a Sunday? Weren't they just discussing doing away with Saturday service? Color me flabbergasted.

And the other thing:

Since watching episodes of Restaurant Impossible and seeing behind the scenes the beyond-belief dreadful troubles many restaurant owners are experiencing, I've, more than before, viewed having food delivered here as a good deed rather than just a convenience.

So today I ordered out from my favorite place down the street and oh my! The man who delivered my chicken was at least 75 years old. Seriously.

My first thought was, "I guess it's true that our world has become this scary place where now senior citizens must supplement their incomes by delivering pizza." 

Next I realized he reminded me of my grandfather--wiry, gentle-but-strong and happy. I thanked him, gave him a good tip and, after closing the door, prayed for his safety and well-being.

The world. It really is a changin'. I'm just glad Jesus never changes and--if we'll allow Him--He'll help us make wise choices during these complicated end times.  

And all will be well.



                 Slowly the snow is melting and Winter is losing his power. Hooray!


*****

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."   ...Jeremiah 29:11


"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."   ...Hebrews 13:8


*****



Free Kindle books:


Show Dog Sings the Blues

Herbal Remedies

One Among Men

3 comments:

mabeane said...

Spring is in the air! 47 degrees here in Maine today but
wait...wait, maybe more snow coming on the week-end.
I'm glad you got out. I want to see that movie soon.
I'm sure it was the theater goodies that upset your stomach.
Jan

lorie said...

Sunny and 60 degrees here in Philly! I'm loving every minute of it. I hope your tummy is all better.

Pam said...

We've had a taste of spring here in the Midwest, also. What a blessing! The birds are chirping and the hope of sunny, warm days fills my heart with hope. Debra, sorry to hear of your rough patch, but glad you've fully recovered. Enjoy your nice weather.