Sunday, November 16, 2014

Early Christmas Decor? How Dare They!


"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."  ... Galations 5:1


*****

So this grey afternoon, I glanced out our windows and saw that one of our neighbors already had a lighted Christmas tree and another had decorated a whole window with colored lights. Christmas decor! On November 16th!

And I loved it.




But oh, Debra of The Old Days would have told Tom over in his recliner, "Can you believe that? It's not even Thanksgiving yet. Why is everyone nowadays in such a hurry? Why can't we just celebrate one holiday at a time?"

Old Debra was a control freak and didn't even realize it. She thought if the world didn't do things the way she did, well, they were making a mistake. They were wrong.

I didn't realize that if I wanted people to respect my freedom to do what I believed best, I first needed to extend that to them. Also, I had to discover that I'm not Queen of the World.

Yet ever since I (finally) allowed God to make a New Debra, one who's learned the value of minding her own business (especially), I've felt freer, lighter and so much happier. 

I've felt like it's Christmas all year long. 

And so now, the earlier the lights and music and giving begins, the sooner I like it. The sooner I can enjoy, from afar or from across the street, the joyful festivities and be more often reminded of the Reason for the season...

... something ol' Control Freak Debra never really could.





*****

"A man reaps what he sows."   ... Galations 6:7

Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.



*****

Here's something interesting for the Vintage At Heart:

Iconic Drive-In Theaters Worth Visiting

5 comments:

Terra said...

This new Debra is a fabulous gal, even more fabulous than the previous Debra. Letting go of control can be lots of fun.

Pam said...

I must admit that I've often been guilty of being controlling. As I've gotten older, I've grown weary of trying to take care of the world--it's hard work, and now I feel much freer and happier. I've always pulled out the Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving, but we had to replace our old tree this year, and when the new, smaller one arrived, we set it up, tweaked the branches, and left it standing in the corner. Haven't decorated it yet, but it represents the promise of things to come. Thanks, again, for being so honest about what God is doing in your life...it has encouraged me to be more honest, too.

Deborah Raney said...

Oh, dear. This Deborah may be a bit of a control freak too, and I didn't even realize it. I don't mind early decorating, but it's the people who still have their Christmas lights up (and plugged in!!) in February who make me crazy. I've even been known to (jokingly, for my hubby's entertainment) roll down the car window and yell "Christmas is over!" as we drive by such a house.

I guess I shall have to stop that, and realize that the person who lives there may have good reason to celebrate the holiday long after December is over. Thank you, other Debra, for that reminder!

mabeane said...

I am one who puts the tree and decorations (very few) up very near to Christmas. I don't much care what others chose to do.
However I have a mailbox planter that I bought solar dragonfly lights for. I didn't realize the lights were red and green and blue and that they blinked! My daughter thought I'd put up Christmas lights!

Judy said...

Not having internet for three weeks, I bet you are not surprised that what I did was decorate! It helped that it snowed so early.
I don't think I'll do all that I used to do - what with chubby little boy hands reaching for shiny things and all that - but what I have done feels cozy and peaceful to me. I like that.