Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Movie Nod


I used to enjoy romantic movies, but now? Mostly, bleh.

Maybe I've grown too realistic-minded about what real, lasting love looks like (and requires) in my old age, which ok, might sound a bit jaded or something. 

But hey. Lest you think I've sworn-off all romantic films (and all early-days-romantic magic), there are still a few I'll re-watch. One of them, in fact, I saw twice this weekend, once alone and then again with Tom. And I came away re-enchanted.

So what is this special movie? The Lake House.

And ok, the ending always makes me cry and also, it reminds me a bit of the Jacob and Rachel Bible story. Why? Because it's about waiting for your heart's desire, for the right person at the right time. Yes, a modern movie about waiting--can you believe it? I didn't think they made those anymore, but they did.

It's also a bit like choosing to walk on water, even when that doesn't make sense or people label you Mistaken. But going ahead, because--in your deepest heart--you know it's right. And what you must do if you're to truly walk in faith.

When you sit down to watch this, you cannot be in the mood for a quick-paced, car-chasing, fast-talking, spin-your-brain-around film. Uh, no. You must slow down your head, your heart and your breathing and switch into dreamy mode.

Then you'll like it. And understand it--or most of it anyway. Who really ever totally gets time travel movies and which one never contains a single plot hole? Alas.

In case you missed The Lake House, (it's only PG. Wow.), here's a preview for you. Or perhaps you'd like to watch it again if it's been awhile.

And that is all for today.




*****

"So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her."   ... Genesis 29:20

"For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."   ... Habbakuk 2:3


*****


The reason I'm not including a link to descriptions about this movie? I'd rather you go into it with only the above preview. Too many words ahead of time could ruin it for you.


*****


There's another link at youtube with just the ending of The Lake House and, like playing a record again and again, I watch it over and over. Hey, it's one of the best movie endings, ever, at least to me.  (Yet what do I know? I don't even like romantic films, remember?) heh.



*****


Today's the last day for Michigan Bulb Company's current half-off sale. I ordered some flowers for my yard from them this morning. Yay!

7 comments:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

A movie I am enjoying which is on instant netflix is Hachi, a Dog's Tale.

K.E. said...

I just saw "The Lunchbox" which I found wildly charming, romantic, and sweet.
You might like it (there are subtitles.).

Dolores said...

I didn't think I would like this movie. I went to see it with a friend when it first came out. It had two strikes against it. Number one, it was a romance and number two Sandra Bullock was in it. But guess what, I really, really liked it.

Anonymous said...

Movie looks interesting...love looks different by the time we are this age, doesn't it? In many ways at least...
Elizabeth in WA

Robin in New Jersey said...

Thank you for the recommendation. I don't watch movies very often, but I am always on the prowl for a "good movie." Is it on Netflix?

Debra said...

Kristi--you know? I've been meaning to watch that one for some time. Tom saw it, but he loves any animal film, whereas I don't, especially if the animal dies or gets hurt. I'm still recovering from Marley and Me--aren't I terrible? :)

Kim--I'd not heard of that one. I'll check it out--thanks!

Oh Dolores! Usually you and I like the same things, and well, I love Sandra Bullock. Oh well--we can't be exactly alike. :) I'm glad you liked this movie, too!

Elizabeth--I think you'd like The Lake House! And yes, love looks different at our age. :)

Robin--yes, The Lake House is at Netflix, at least by disc in the mail, which is how we got it. I'm pretty sure you'd love it!

Thanks, Everyone! Blessings, Debra

Anonymous said...

I agree this is a good movie! I also love the end of Sleepless in Seattle. I wish there was a part two to that movie. :) I know same actors did You've got Mail but that doesn't count!! :-) Both movies were good though. Sarah