Friday, October 18, 2013

The Shows Grace Lets You Watch.... Or Not Watch


“Just as the sinner’s despair of any hope from himself is the first prerequisite of a sound conversion, so the loss of all confidence in himself is the first essential in the believer’s growth in grace.” 
A. W. Pink
 
(Oooooo what a quote!)

*******
So where's ol' Debra been?

She's been lolling away on The Red Couch while watching myriad episodes of Disappeared.

But here's the odd thing. Last Spring, I placed Disappeared on our Netflix instant queue, watched one episode and got a little freaked-out. Sad, shaken. It even haunted me a bit while lying in bed that night.

Well, I'm no fool. When that happens, I've learned that Grace is giving me a big, fat,  "No. Don't watch that. Not now--and perhaps--not ever." So I removed Disappeared from our queue and moved on with my life. heh.

But fast forward 6 months and there I was at Netflix searching for something that felt just right (like Goldilocks) and poof! Disappeared appeared again. But this time I didn't feel Grace breathing down my neck to avoid this show so I watched an episode and ...

... no eerie feelings. No creepiness inside my head and no awakening late at night.

Instead, I found myself praying for these poor people who'd lost a loved one, praying for the missing woman, herself--and--reminding myself that although I'm having a happy little life, not everybody else is. I need to grow in compassion and never forget that not everyone knows that only seeking God with all their hearts will fill their heart's emptiness. 

I need to remember all that and pray, believing prayer--and God--changes things.

What a difference! And since? I've probably watched 15 episodes of Disappeared, have done a heck of a lot of praying for all those people and have never felt so much inner peace in all my life.

Grace. I want her timing, her advice, her direction. Nothing else and certainly not 'my will be done.' Uh, no. I want Grace, Grace and more Grace. That's the kind of life I have chosen to live and the one that's changing everything.

*********
My autumn flowers remind me of children who spent the entire day at the beach, but have returned home oh so tired--but happy.




**********
See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled."   ... Hebrews 12:15




Oh outside! It's a gleaming, blowy, golden, nippy-but-invigorating autumn morning. 

hope it's the same at your house.





1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Debra, the way you describe your autumn flowers in this post just delighted me. So poetic and whimsical!