Sunday, September 09, 2012

The Monster Grace Pile

So. Do you remember when I wrote about the Grace Piles in my home, those piles of (mostly Tom's) junk which Grace must help me accept and almost not even see so that I can live peaceably with them (and not nag Tom to death)?

Sigh. Last week we acquired a new 'Grace Pile'. A huge one. 

For months, Tom said he really needed his own inversion table at home so to help his back. I told him to go ahead and order one as long as it can fit in his 'man cave.' 

Well, it arrived, he put it together and it's way, way too large for his room. 

Of course. 

So we had to shove it into his office, instead, along with the big office chair we found at a yard sale last week and the (annoying, but handy) cats' scratching post and two sets of shelves which I refuse to show you.(heh). But I will show you this;



Looks like a big spider or creature, huh?

Keep in mind the office chair (on the left) is pushed up to the desk in this photo--when it's in use, it practically touches that inversion table, making it difficult to walk through to Debra's World upstairs.

But oh well. God's seeping the Grace into me (slowly) to accept this monstrosity helpful thing for Tom's back. What else are ya gonna do? To complain would sound cruel. 

Acceptance is better.

But the good thing? (As Ma Ingalls said, there's no great loss without some gain.) We had to move our decorated post out to the dining room and I am in love with the way it looks there. People always comment about that thing so now they will see it more closely:


Makes a nice focal point, I think. And see that gold sconce on the left? That was my best yard sale find this weekend (from a stage 3--or so--hoarder's house. Eclectic, fun stuff he had!): $2.50 for something old and look at the pretty detailing:


I'll probably stick a candle stub in it and call it done. It does have a plug-in cord, but I've already asked Tom to rewire that Craftsman lamp I showed you, so I'm not gonna stress him out by asking him to rewire this, too. At least, not anytime soon. 

So that large table thing caused us to find a better place for the old post. And that's nice. And good. And I'll not complain, but just keep receiving more Grace the hundreds of times I step through our obstacle course office.  We can't always have things the way we want them, otherwise we'd all be spoiled brats--and who wants that?  :)


*************



"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."   ... 1 Thessalonians 5:18
























***************


5 comments:

Terra said...

Well, Grace stepped in to smooth things out, and you made some pleasing changes. I like your idea of the "Grace piles", we all have some of those, I think.

Deborah Raney said...

I love the decorated post there! You can enjoy it from all sides, and it makes a subtle divider between the two rooms. Great Romans 8:28 moment. ; )

Bonnie said...

What a good post, Debra. We all have to adjust to "stuff" like that. But being married to your roommate is a good thing. : )

That inversion table looks like it would feel great on a bad back. I hope it does.

I don't remember seeing the post before, but my memory's goin'. lol. It's great for displaying so many treasures.

Keep on growing in grace. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

We have one similar to the one you just purchased for Tom. It does seem to help my hubby...but yes, they do take up space!! It might help me too, but with high blood pressure, I cannot hang upside down!! I hope you can find more ways to perhaps make a bit more space...
Elizabeth in NC

Anonymous said...


Hubby wanted to try an inversion table too but the heart doctor said No! I hope it helps Tom as much as he hopes it will. I have heard many people love them.
I am the pile person in our family :O ...books magazines, bowls of tomatoes and such when the garden is going strong etc etc. ...and etc...
The wall light could also hold a hat or drape a pretty old tea towel in the crook of it or? Yes, it is Very pretty!
Did you figure yet what you are going to do in the back entry? I remember the post where the wall paper did not work out. You are so creative I just wondered what you created in that odd space !! :) Sarah