Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Saving Time




Well, I wrote about saving money, so now here's a post about saving Time. 

Years past, I was a Saving Time Artist, in fact, I used to tell everyone, "I am the only non-busy person you know." I've loosened up a bit now, yet still, I cannot stand hurry-hurry. Where's the time to smell the roses?

Some of these are more time-saving concepts than tips, and too, I'll be skipping some of the obvious hints you've read a zillion times before.

1. Whenever possible, I practice the All At One Time principle:
I create my own baking mixes All At One Time so that I'm not having to drag out the flour, sugar, spices, baking supplies, etc., all over again and then store them away again.
The same goes for the vacuuming, dusting, washing dishes, laundry (wash a large load, not 3 small ones), etc. I do each task All At One Time, until it is finished.

2. We video tape many of our favorite tv shows and watch them later. This way we save lots of time by fast-forwarding through all the commercials. When we do watch shows 'live,' I jump up during commercials (sometimes, not always) and do little tasks around the house-- rather like playing, Beat The Clock. Fun, and it's amazing how much you can accomplish during one hour-long show.

3. I buy postage stamps online. I love not having to stand in line at the post office or supermarket.

4. I buy many gifts online, ones for birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, etc. Also packages of greeting cards. This saves hours(!) and gas money and my patience (nerves), also.

5. I immediately throw away junk mail when it arrives, rather than letting it stack up and having to sit down later and wade through a big mess.

6. In the rooms where I spend most of my time, I keep a tablet and a pen so to list any tasks which come to mind, rather than walk around later asking myself, "Now, what was I supposed to work on in here?" 

7. On our refrigerator I keep a list so Tom and I can jot down the items we've run out of. Then I just whisk away this list with me when I drive to the supermarket.

8. I remind myself that the less I own, the less time I'll have to spend caring for it.

9. And basically, I'm learning that Wisdom always has a better way. It just remains up to me to choose whether to listen to Wisdom or to my own bright ideas (which never end up being very bright at all).


******


What are your favorite ways of saving Time?


******

No comments: