Monday, February 09, 2009



Need some coupons for healthy products? The latest issue of Family Circle recommended this site, Mambo Sprouts. You'll find coupons for Kashi cereal, Stonyfield Farm yogurt, Clif bars and more.

I mentioned in an earlier post that it pays to learn how to make your own soup and white/cheese sauce. Something else? Spaghetti sauce. I've made my own for decades and saved tons of money and have avoided buckets of added salt. 

As with anything, recipes abound online.

When I was young, the thing to have at the mall was an Orange Julius. Now I can whip up an Orange Julius at home in about two minutes, a low-fat, low-sugar type. The recipe is something like this, below, although I never measure anything. I just make it.

This makes a smallish glass for two of us:

3/4 c. orange juice
1/2 c. skim milk (or 2%)
1 tbs. sugar (or less)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. yogurt--if you have it on hand. Otherwise, skip it.

Pour all in a blender at lowest speed for a few seconds. Easy! We love drinking this when we're craving some kind of a snack at night but have previously eaten all snacks in the house.

(Some of you will be tempted to leave comments about how orange juice and milk, together, make you sick. I get that already, ok?)  ツ

Oh, and for those who wondered, our ice-cream maker is made by Rival. There are only three pieces, it's the easiest thing on Earth to use and you store the tub part in the freezer so it's always ready to use when you're craving something cold.

And when you crave some hot coffee? Well, have you ever tried McCullagh coffee? Oh. My. Goodness. 

Our favorite restaurant in town serves it and it's always amazing, even decaf! They recently began selling bags of the stuff and I'll definitely have to get some. McCullagh has made coffee for 130 years-- tons of time to make it perfect, right?

(I've not found a place online to buy McCullagh. Let me know if you do, ok?)


******

2 comments:

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Good decaf! Oh my!!!!!!!!

And this site has an e-mail addy. Where you could maybe ask for on line purchasing sites? Plus, there's a Buffalo location. They have two phone numbers, for there. :-)

Aunt Amelia
"Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age."

Anonymous said...

Happy Monday, Debra! You're a ray of sunshine to start my week! :)

(former maudler)