Friday, February 20, 2009



I found an old friend on Facebook, read his info. page and saw under Favorite TV Shows he wrote: "TV is a waste of time."

Man, I hate broad, sweeping generalizations! I do know this same person is hugely into books. Well, I could say that some books are a waste of time--and I'd be correct. (So there. heh.) But would I ever say, "Books are a waste of time,"? Uh, nooooo.

And some music, relationships and sermons are a waste of time, but would I ever quip, "Music,relationships and sermons are a waste of time,"? Again, Uh, no.

Man, when will we ever walk in balance? 

Yes, TV can be a major waste of time-- of course! But you know? It was on TV where I saw travel shows about Italy,  France and Greece, all places where I'll probably never go, but all places which--now--my eyes have seen and appreciated because they appeared on TV.

And on tv I watched documentaries about our Country's history and saw people, photos, letters, battlegrounds, famous homes and so much more--things which took place way before I was born, things which I'd never see otherwise. History came alive for me after I found it so boring in high school.

It was on TV where I saw cooking shows which inspired me to cook that millionth meal. Decorating shows taught me how to decorate my rooms and inspired me to clear away my clutter. And on TV I learned which style of clothes I should be putting on this sorry figure of mine so it won't look so sorry.

TV news showed me what was happening in my world and my hometown. And in front of tv I prayed and cried for those left behind when their loved ones were killed.

It was on TV---, well, you get it. TV can show and teach me what otherwise I'd have a difficult time finding otherwise. TV is not the enemy--it's our out of balance habits with it.

Seek balance--with tv and all else. Don't toss babies with bath water (and all that). Mostly that's all I'm saying today.



*******

And no, I'm not saying everyone must have a television in their home, ok? :) Please go back and read this if you think that's the point I was making.


*****


*******


Oh, I LOVED this. Liked it better than my own 'I Am From.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally feel you!
That is a broad statement.

T.V. can be good and it can be bad.
Sadly most folks can't control their consumption of it.
We don't have cable because we like our lives with out too much TV.
We rent movies instead.

But you'd be amazed how some of our friends and family react to that.
I thought my father-in-law was going to go nutty the last time he spent a couple days at our house.